A NOVEL CONTROL SCHEME IMPLEMENTATION FOR A SELF-EXCITED ASYNCHRONOUS GENERATOR
Keywords:Self-excited asynchronous generator, Vector control, Pulse width modulation inverter, Dc-bus voltage regulation, Lead compensator controller design
This work presents an efficient method for wind power converting applications based on a self-excited asynchronous generator (SEAG). In the adopted study, the machine with the rotor driven by an auxiliary prime mover provides active power to an isolated dc-load via a static converter (SC) associated with a dc bus capacitor through its stator. Thus, for a determined load, the converter's required stator voltages are derived by establishing a specific vector control law relative to a new output control variable introduction. The presented simulation results and their corresponding experimental tests demonstrate that the pretended control strategy ensures perfect output dc-bus voltage tracking performances concerning a simultaneous load drift and the mechanical speed profile.
(1) G.K. Singh, Self-excited induction generator for renewable applications, Encyclopedia of Sustainable Technologies, Elsevier, 2017, pp. 239–256 (2017).
(2) K. Charafeddine, K. Sangov, S. Tsyruk, Automatic voltage regulation and stability analysis of three-phase self-excited induction generator for wind energy, IEEE 2nd Int. Conf. on the Applications of Information Technology in Developing Renewable Energy Processes & Systems, Amman, Jordan, Dec. 6-8, 2017.
(3) J. Mishra, M. Pattnaik, S. Samanta, Performance evaluation of a self-excited induction generator for stand-alone wind energy conversion system, IEEE Power, Communication and Information Technology Conf., Bhubaneswar, India, Oct. 15-17, 2015.
(4) A. Aberbour, K. Idjdarene, A. Tounzi, Sliding mode direct torque and rotor flux control of an isolated induction generator including magnetic saturation, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn. – Électrotechn. Et Énerg., 61, 2, pp. 142–146 (2016).
(5) R. Mishra, T.K. Saha, Development of a standalone VSCF generation scheme through three stage control of SCIG, IEEE Region 10 Conference (TENCON), 22-25 Nov. 2016.
(6) L.A. Lopes, R.G. Almeida, Wind-driven self-excited induction generator with voltage and frequency regulated by a reduced-rating voltage source inverter, IEEE Trans. on Ener. Conver., 21, 2, pp. 297–304 (2006).
(7. J.K. Chatterjee, B.V. Perumal, N.R.Gopu, Analysis of operation of a self-excited induction generator with generalized impedance controller, IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, 22, 2, pp. 307–315 (2007).
(8) Z. Boudries, A. Aberbour, K. Idjdarene, Study on sliding mode virtual flux-oriented control for three-phase PWM rectifiers, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn. – Électrotechn. Et Énerg., 61, 2, pp. 153–158 (2016).
(9) O. Abdessemad, A.L. Nemmour, L. Louze, A. Khezzar, An experiment validation of an efficient vector control strategy for an isolated induction generator as wind power conversion, IEEE International Conference on Advanced Electrical Engineering, (ICAEE), Algiers, Algeria, Nov. 19-21, 2019.
(10) S.M. Mahato, S.P. Singh, M.P. Sharma, Direct vector control of stand-alone self-excited induction generator, Joint International Conference on Power Electronics, Drives and Energy Systems & 2010 Power India, New Delhi, India, Dec. 20-23, 2010.
(11) S. Hazra, P. Sensarma, Vector approach for self-excitation and control of induction machine in stand-alone wind power generation, IET renewable power generation, 5, 5, pp. 397–405 (2011).
(12) O. Abdessemad, A.L. Nemmour, L. Louze, A. Khezzar, Real-Time Implementation of a Novel Vector Control Strategy for a Self-Excited Asynchronous Generator Driven by a Wind Turbine, Journal Européen des Sys. Automatisés, 54, 2, pp. 235–241 (2021).
(13) T. Ahmed, K. Nishida, M. Nakaoka, Advanced voltage control of induction generator using rotor field-oriented control, Fortieth IAS Annual Meeting. Conference Record of the 2005 Industry Applications Conference, Hong Kong, China, Oct. 2-6, 2005.
(14) N.P. Quang, J.A. Dittrich, Vector Control of Three-Phase AC Machines: System Development in the Practice. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer (2008).
(15) D. Seyoum, M.F. Rahman, C. Grantham, Terminal voltage control of a wind turbine driven isolated induction generator using stator-oriented field control, Eighteenth Annual IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conf. and Exposition, FL, USA, Feb. 9-13 2003.
(16) A.L. Nemmour, L. Louze, A. Khezzar, M. Boucherma, Terminal Voltage Control of Variable Speed Induction Generator Driven by a Wind Turbine Supplying a DC Load, International Aegean Conference on Electrical Machines and Power Electronics, Bodrum, Turkey, Sept. 10-12, 2007.
(17) S.S. Kumar, N. Kumaresan, M. Subbiah, M. Rageeru, Modelling, analysis and control of stand-alone self-excited induction generator-pulse width modulation rectifier systems feeding constant DC voltage applications, IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, 8, 6, pp. 1140–1155 (2014).
(18) S.A. Deraz, F.A. Kader, A new control strategy for a stand-alone self-excited induction generator driven by a variable speed wind turbine, Renewable Energy, 51, pp. 263–273 (2013).
(19) L. Louze, O. Abdessemad, A.L. Nemmour, A. Khezzar, An effective control of an isolated induction generator supplying DC load for wind power converting applications, Electrical Engineering and Electromechanics, 3, pp. 65–69 (2020).
(20) S. Meddouri, K. Idjdarene, L. Ferrarini, Control of autonomous saturated induction generator associated to a flywheel energy storage system, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn. – Électrotechn. Et Énerg., 61, 4, pp. 372–377 (2016).
(21) E. Margato, J. Faria, M.J. Resende, J. Palma, A new control strategy with saturation effect compensation for an autonomous induction generator driven by wide speed range turbines, Energy Conversion and Management, 52, 5, pp. 2142–2152 (2011).
(22) F. Amrane et al., Design and implementation of high performance field oriented control for grid-connected doubly fed induction generator via hysteresis rotor current controller, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn. – Électrotechn. Et Énerg., 61, 4, pp. 319–324 (2016).
(23) O. Bachir, A.F. Zoubir, Comparative analysis of robust controller based on classical proportional-integral controller approach for power control of wind energy system, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn. – Électrotechn. Et Énerg., 63, 2, pp. 210–216 (2018).
(24) W. Leonard Control of Electrical Drives, New York: Springer. 1985.
(25) P. Vas Vector Control of AC Machines. Oxford, U.K.: Oxford University Press, 1990.
(26) A. Kerboua, M. Abid, Hybrid fuzzy sliding mode control of a doubly-fed induction generator in wind turbines, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn. – Électrotechn. Et Énerg., 57, 4, pp. 412–421 (2012).
(27) R.V. Dukkipati, Analysis and Design of Control Systems Using MATLAB, Connecticut, USA: New Age International, 2006.