EFFICIENT FUZZY LEFT SHIFT-SINUSOIDAL PULSE WIDTH MODULATION CONTROL SCHEME FOR SERIES ACTIVE POWER FILTER BASED ON SEVEN-LEVEL NEUTRAL POINT CLAMPED INVERTER TOPOLOGIES
Keywords:Seven-level neutral point clamped inverter, Series active power filter, Power quality improvement, Fuzzy logic control, Left shift-sinusoidal pulse width modulation
This paper presents the performance of a series active power filter (APF) based on a seven-level neutral point clamped (NPC) inverter using modified instantaneous reactive power control strategies. Today, multilevel inverters are being investigated and used in various industrial applications. Fuzzy control techniques are successfully employed in various applications; they represent a good alternative to classic control systems. To benefit from all these advantages, a novel control scheme for series APF based on a seven-level neutral point clamped (NPC) inverter using level-shifted multicarrier modulation and fuzzy control approach is proposed in this work. The simulation is carried out using MATLAB-Simulink and SimPowerSystem software. The results show the effectiveness and robustness of the proposed control scheme adopted for the series active power filter system in compensating harmonics and all voltage disturbances.
(1) A.M., Hamadi A., N.A., Rahmani, S. Al-Haddad K., Sliding mode control of three-phase series hybrid power filter with reduced cost and rating, IEEE, pp. 1495-1500 (2018).
(2) A. Kazami, S.A, Davari, A reference detection algorithm for series active power filters, aimed at current harmonics and reactive power compensation, IEEE, Second IEEE Conference on Industrial Electronics and Applications, pp. 1761-1766 (2007).
(3) H.Z. Hong, C. Pingping, L. Zhengyu, Q. Zhaoming, Novel control scheme based on per-phase reference current calculation for hybrid series active power filter with fundamental current bypass channel in unbalanced conditions, IEEE, 35th Annual Power Electronics Specialists Conference, pp. 999-1002 (2004).
(4) F-B. Libano, S.L. Muller, R-A-M. Braga, J-V-R. Nunes, O-S. Mano, I-A. Paranhos, Simplified control of the series active power filter for voltage conditioning, IEEE ISIE 2006, July 9-12, 2006, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, pp. 1706-1711 (2006).
(5) S. Bhim, V. Vishal, A new control scheme for a series active filter for varying rectifier load, The Fifth International Conference on Power Electronics and Drive Systems, 2003, PEDS, November 17-20, 2003, 1, pp. 554-559 (2003).
(6) A. Javadi, A. Hamadi, M. Haddad, S. Rahmani, K. Al-Haddad, A novel hybrid detection approach for series compensation under grid perturbation, IEEE International Conference on Industrial Technology (ICIT), pp. 2565-2570 (2015).
(7) S. Ambra, S. Jan, L. Tomas, Power electronic solutions to power quality problems, Electric Power Systems Research 66, pp. 71–83, (2003).
(8) Z. Ye, Y. Xu, X. Wu, G. Tan, X. Deng, Z. Wang, A simplified PWM strategy for a neutral-point-clamped (NPC) three-level converter with unbalanced dc links, IEEE Trans. Power Electron., 31, 4, pp. 3227-3238 (2016).
(9) X. Peng, K. Ganesh, K. Venayagamoorthy A. Corzine, Seven-level shunt active power filter for high-power drive systems, IEEE Transactions on power electronics, 24, 1, pp. 6–13, (2009).
(10) L. Parvulescu, D. Floricau, M. Covrig, Comparaison between five-level flying capacitor structures, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn. – Électrotechn. et Énerg., 57, 1, pp. 40–51 (2012).
(11) I. Colak, E. Kabalci, G. Keven, Comparison of multi-carrier techniques in seven-level asymmetric cascade multilevel inverter, 4th International Conference on Power Engineering, Energy and Electrical Drives, IEEE, pp. 1619-1624 (2013).
(12) G. Preethi, M.J. Gayathri, V. Jamuna, Digital simulation of multicarrier PWM strategy for multi-level inverter, 2012 International Conference on Computing, Electronics and Electrical Technologies [ICCEET], IEEE, pp. 509-514 (2012).
(13) T. Ahmadzadeh, M. Sabahi, E. Babaei, Modified PWM control method for neutral point clamped multilevel inverters, 14th International Conference on Electrical Engineering/Electronics, Computer, Telecommunications, and Information Technology (ECTI-CON), pp. 765-768 (2017).
(14) S. Chennai, M.T. Benchouia, Three-phase three-level (NPC) shunt active power filter performances based on PWM and ANN’s controllers for harmonic current compensation, International Journal on Electrical Engineering, and Informatics, IJEEI, 6, 1, pp. 213–234 (2014).
(15) A. Ben Amar, L. Zellouma, M.T. Benchouia, T. Mahni, Three-phase four-wire shunt active power filter based on backstepping controller, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn. – Électrotechn. et Énerg., 64, 4, pp. 397–402 (2019).
(16) İ. Sefa, N. Altin, Simulation of fuzzy logic-controlled grid-interactive inverter, University of Pitesti- Electronics and Computers Science Bulletin, 2, 8, pp. 30–35 (2008).
(17) J.M. Correa et al., A fuzzy-controlled pulse density modulation strategy for a series resonant inverter with wide load range, proceeding of the Conference on Power Electronics Specialists, PESC'03, Acapulco, Mexico pp. 15-19 (2003).
(18) S. Chennai, M.T. Benchouia, Simplified control scheme of unified power quality conditioner based on three-phase three-level (NPC) inverter to mitigate current source harmonics and compensate all voltage disturbances, Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology JEET (KIEE), 8, 3, pp. 544–558 (2013).
(19) S. Chennai, Three-level neutral point clamped shunt active power filter performances using intelligent controllers, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn. – Électrotechn. et Énerg., 59, 3, pp. 303–313 (2014).
(20) Y. Suresh, A.K. Panda, M. Matada, An improved performance of cascaded multilevel inverter with single dc source by employing three-phase transformers, IEEE (2011).
(21) K. Satish, M. Satyanarayana, Comparative analysis of modulation strategies applied to seven-level diode clamped multi-level inverter fed induction motor drive, IEEE, 2015 Conference on Power, Control, Communication and Computational Technologies for Sustainable Growth (PCCCTSG), pp. 231-237 (2015).
(22) J.N. Mistry, K. Vakharia, D. Tailor, B. Patel, Software and hardware implementation of five level neutral point clamped inverter, International Conference on Electrical, Electronics and Optimization Techniques (ICEEOT), IEEE (2016).
(23) H.H Reyes, S. Patricio, K. Hyosung, Instantaneous reactive power theory applied to active power filter compensation: different approaches, Assessment, and experimental results, IEEE, Trans. on Industrial Electronics, pp. 184-196 (2008).
(24) T.N. Reddy, M.V. Subramanyam, Fuzzy logic-controlled shunt active power filter for mitigation of harmonics with different membership, IEEE, International Conference on Advances in Computing, Control, and Telecommunication, pp. 616-620. 2009.
(25) S. Chennai, Power quality enhancement with UPQC Systems based on multi-level (NPC) inverters, Advanced Control Engineering Methods in Electrical Engineering Systems. ICEECA 2017. Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering, 522, Springer, pp. 3–16 (2019).
(26) N. Gupta, S.P. Singh, S.P. Dubey., Fuzzy logic-controlled shunt active power filter for reactive power compensation and harmonic elimination, International Conference on Computer & Communication Technology (ICCCT), IEEE, pp .82-87 (2011).
(27) T. Georgios, A. Georgios, Shunt active power filter control using fuzzy logic controllers, IEEE, pp. 365-371 (2011).
(28) D. Wenjin, W. Baofu, X. Youhui., A novel fuzzy logic controller for active power filter, CIMSA 2009 - International Conference on Computational, Intelligence for Measurement Systems and Applications, Hong Kong, China May 11-13 (2009).
(29) S. Chennai, M.T Benchouia, A. Goléa, Harmonic currents compensation based on three-level shunt active filter using fuzzy logic current controller, Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, KIEE, September 6, 5, pp. 595–604 (2011).