COST-EFFECTIVE DESIGN OF THREE PHASE INDUCTION MOTOR: AN OPTIMIZATION APPROACH
Keywords:Induction motor, Cost-effective, Design optimization, Gravitational search algorithm
The cost-effective design could be done in many ways, such as by reducing the cost of energy lost, reducing manufacturing cost, reducing annual maintenance costs, etc. 3-phase induction motors are extensively used as the most effective machine in the industry because they are reliable and economical. The cost-effective design of this motor is a great challenge for engineers. The Induction motor design is a non-linear and multivariable optimization problem. So, the entire problem depends on the selection of variables and constraints. Lesser number of constraints leads the poor performance, and on the other hand, improper selection of bounds of the variables gives the odd dimension of the motor. The proposed work deals with the design and optimization of the cost of production subject to various constraints with a selected number of variables. A gravitational search algorithm (GSA) is used to get the desired optimal results, and based on that, the performance indices and cost of production are calculated. The proposed algorithm is used to find the optimal cost for two motors, and finally, the output is compared with the particle swarm optimization (PSO) to validate the results. The production of GSA shows more acceptable values of design parameters and performance indices, which are projected in the result section and discussed in the conclusion section.
(1) J.P. Wieczorek, Ö. Göl, Z. Michalewiez, An evolutionary algorithm for the optimal design of induction motors, IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, 34, 6, pp. 3882–3887 (1989).
(2) J. Faiz, M.B.B. Sharifian, A. Keyhani, A. Proca, Performance comparison of optimally designed induction motors with aluminum and copper squirrel-cages, Elect. Mach. and Power Sys. 28, pp. 1195–1207 (2000).
(3) J.P. Wieczorek, Ö. Göl, Z. Michalewicz, An evolutionary algorithm for the optimal design of induction motors, IEEE Trans. On Magnetics, 34, 6, pp. 3882–3887 (1998).
(4) R Basak, H Yahoui, N. Iauve, Cost optimal design of induction motor by genetic algorithm, J. of Basic and Applied Research International, 21, 2, pp. 62–71 (2017).
(5) E. Rashedi, H. Nezamabadi-Pour, S. Saryazdi, GSA: a gravitational search algorithm, Information Sciences, 179, 13, pp. 2232–2248 (2009).
(6) H.M. Emara, W. Elshamy, A. Bahgat, Parameter identification of induction motor using modified particle swarm optimization algorithm, Proc. of the 2008 IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics, Cambridge, UK, pp. 841–847 (30 June–2 July 2008).
(7) J. Faiz, M. Ghaneei, A.Keyhani, A.B. Proca, Optimum design of induction motors for electric vehicles, Electric Power Components and Systems, 28, pp. 1177–1194 (2000).
(8) M.R. Feyzi, H.V. Kalankesh, Optimization of induction motor design by using the finite element method, Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering, 2, pp. 845–850 (2001).
(9) M.B.B. Sharifian, H.V. Kalankesh, M.R. Feyzi, Multi-objective optimization of induction motor slot design using finite element method, Proceedings of the 10th IEEE International Conference on Electronics, Circuits and Systems, 3, pp. 1308–1311 (2003).
(10) S. Lachecinski, M. Dems, S. Wiak, Hybrid optimization algorithms in designing of induction motor at occurrence continuous and discontinuous decision variables, Int. Aegean Conference on Electrical Machines and Power Electronics, pp. 541–546 (2007).
(11) J. Faiz, M.B.B. Sharifian, Optimal design of an induction motor for an electric vehicle, European Transactions on Electrical Power, 16, pp. 15–33 (2006).
(12) RH.A. Hamid, AM.A. Amin, RS. Ahmed, AA.A. El. Gammal, New technique for maximum efficiency of induction motors based on particle swarm optimization (PSO)”, 32nd Annual Conference on IEEE Industrial Electronics, 3, pp. 2176–2181 (2006).
(13) E.S. Abdin, G.A. Ghoneem, H.M.M. Diab, S.A. Deraz, Efficiency optimization of a vector controlled induction motor drive using an artificial neural network, Proceeding of the 29th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, 3, pp. 2543–2548 (2003).
(14) M. Çunkaş, R. Akkaya, Design optimization of induction motor by genetic algorithm and comparison with existing motor, Mathematical and Computational Applications (MCA), 11, pp. 193–204 (2006).
(15) S. Subramanian, R. Bhuvaneswari, Multi objective optimal design of three phase induction motor using simulated annealing-technique, COMPEL, 24, pp. 141–1427 (2005).
(16) R. Bhuvaneswari, S. Subramanian, Optimization of three-phase induction motor design using simulated annealing algorithm, Electric Power Components and Systems, 33, pp. 947–956 (2005).
(17) A. Sayyah, M. Aflaki, A.R. Rezazade, GA - based optimization of total harmonic current distortion and suppression of chosen harmonics in induction motors, International Symposium on Power Electronics, Electrical Drives, Automation and Motion, pp. 1361–1366 (2006).
(18) Z. Rouabah, F. Zidani, B. Abdelhadi, Efficiency optimization of induction motor drive using genetic algorithms, Proceedings of the 4th IET Conference on Power Electronics, Machines and Drives, pp. 204–208 (2008).
(19) A. Koechli, B.K. Fussell, S.R. Prina, D.A .James, Y. Perriard, Design optimization of induction motors for aerospace applications, IEEE Industry Applications Conference, 4, pp. 2501–2505 (2004).
(20) A.H. Isfahani. H. Lesani, B.M. Ebrahimi, Design optimization of linear induction motor for improved efficiency and power factor, IEEE International Electric Machines & Drives Conference, pp. 988–991 (2007).
(21) M. Gavrilas, R. Toma, Flexible alternating current transmission system optimization in the context of large disturbance voltage stability, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn. Électrotechn. et Énerg., 66, 1, pp. 21–26 (2021).
(22) A.H. Isfahani, B. M. Ebrahimi, H. Lesani, Design optimization of a low-speed single-sided linear induction motor for improved efficiency and power factor, IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, 44, pp. 266–272 (2008).
(23) Habbi, Fatiha, Nour El Houda Gabour, M. Bounekhla, New dynamic Genetic Selection Algorithm: Application to Induction Machine identification, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn. – Électrotechn. Et Énerg., 66, 3, pp. 145–151(2021).
(24) V. P. Sakthivel, R. Bhuvaneswari, S. Subramanian, an improved particle swarm optimization for induction motor parameter determination, Int. J. Comput. Appl., 1, 71–76 (2010).
(25) V. Kumar, J. K. Chhabra, D. Kumar, Automatic cluster evolution using gravitational search algorithm and its application on image segmentation, Eng. Appl. Artif. Intell., 29, 93–103 (2014).
(26) S. Yazdani, H. Nezamabadi-Pour, S. Kamyab, A gravitational search algorithm for multimodal optimization, Swarm and Evol. Comput., 14, 1–14 (2014).
(27) V.P. Sakthivel, S. Subramanian, On-site efficiency evaluation of three-phase induction motor based on particle swarm optimization, Energy, 36, 1713–1720 (2011).
(28) F. Hamidia, A. Abbadi, Improved hybrid pumping system with stockage battery based on particle swarm algorithm, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn. – Électrotechn. Et Énerg., 66, 4, pp. 243–248 (2021).
(29) M. Cunkas, A.R. Amazan, Design optimization of induction motor by genetic algorithm and comparison with existing method, Math. and Comp. Applications, 11, 3, pp. 103–203 (2009).
(30) V. Prakash, S. Baskar, S. Sivakumar, K.S. Krishna, A novel efficiency improvement measure in three-phase induction motors, its conservation potential and economic analysis, Energy Sustain. Dev., 12, pp. 78–87 (2008).