INCIPIENT SHORT CIRCUIT FAULT IMPACT ON SERVICE CONTINUITY OF AN ELECTRIC VEHICLE PROPELLED BY DUAL INDUCTION MOTORS STRUCTURE
Keywords:Induction motor, Backstepping control, Turn-to-turn fault, Electric Vehicle, Propulsion Structure
The short circuit is among one of the most dangerous electrical faults in induction motors, which leads to serious implications on the motor operation and its performance. The present paper deals with the influence of the stator short circuit fault in its early stage in terms of performances and service continuity of an electric vehicle (EV) using a dual induction motor’s structure piloted by Backstepping control. An equivalent induction motor model with turn-to-turn fault on one stator phase, without already assuming the temperature effect through an intrinsic model, is investigated and thereafter its impacts on electric vehicle performance using simulation tests are presented and discussed.
(1) Toufik Roubache, Souad Chaouch, Mohamed-Saïd Naït-Saïd, Backstepping design for fault detection and FTC of an induction motor drives-based EVs, Automatika, 57, 3, pp 736–748 (2016).
(2) P. Gangsar, R. Tiwari, Signal based condition monitoring techniques for fault detection and diagnosis of induction motors: A state-of-the-art review, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 144, pp. 1–37 (October 2020).
(3) S Bindu, Vinod V Thomas, Diagnoses of internal faults of three-phase squirrel cage induction motor – A review, International Conference on Advances in Energy Conversion Technologies IEEE (ICAECT), Manipal, India, pp. 48–54 (Jan 23-25, 2014).
(4) S. Nandi, H.A. Toliyat, X. Li, Condition monitoring and fault diagnosis of electrical motors – A review, IEEE Trans. Energy Conversion, 20, 4, pp. 719–729 (2005).
(5) M. Riera-Guasp, J.A. Antonino-Daviu, G.-A. Capolino, Advances in electrical machine, power electronic, and drive condition monitoring and fault detection: State of the art, IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., 62, 3, pp. 1746–1759 (2015).
(6) M.A. Mazzoletti, G.R. Bossio, C.H. De Angelo, D.R. Espinoza-Trejo, A model-based strategy for inter turn short-circuit fault diagnosis in PMSM, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 64, 9, pp. 7218–7228 (September 2017).
(7) Y. Wu, B. Jiang, Yulong Wang, Incipient winding fault detection and diagnosis for squirrel-cage induction motors equipped on CRH trains, ISA Transactions, 99, pp. 488–495 (2020).
(8) J.B. Teguia, G.C. Fouokeng, G.P. Kenne, Induction motor windings faults detection using active and reactive power based model reference adaptive system estimator, Int. J. of Progressive Sciences and Technologies (IJPSAT), 23, 2, pp. 66–86 (2 November 2020).
(9) S.S. Dhamal, M.V. Bhatkar, Modelling and simulation of three-phase induction motor to diagnose the performance on inter-turn short circuit fault in stator winding, International Conference on Computing, Power and Communication Technologies (GUCON), Greater Noida, UP, India, pp. 1166–1172 (Sep 28-29, 2018).
(10) A.V.J.S. Praneeth, S.S. Williamson, Algorithm for prediction and control of induction motor stator interturn faults in electric vehicles, IEEE Transportation Electrification Conference and Expo (ITEC), Chicago, USA, pp. 130–134 (June 22-24, 2017).
(11) A. Gandhi, T. Corrigan, L. Parsa, Recent advances in modeling and online detection of stator interturn faults in electrical motors, IEEE Trans. on Ind. Electronics, 58, 5, pp. 1564–1575 (2011).
(12) K.N. Gyftakis, A.J.M. Cardoso, Reliable detection of stator interturn faults of very low severity level in induction motors, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 68, 4, pp. 3475–3484 (11 March 2020).
(13) S. M.A. Cruz, A.J.M. Cardoso, Stator winding fault diagnosis in three-phase synchronous and asynchronous motors, by the extended Park’s vector approach, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 37, 5, pp. 1227–1233 (Sep.-Oct. 2001).
(14) L. Heming, S. Liling, X. Boqiang, Research on transient behaviors and detection methods of stator winding inter-turn short circuit fault in induction motors based on multi-loop mathematical model, IEEE International Conference on Electrical Machines and Systems, Nanjing, China, pp. 1951–1955 (27-29 Sept. 2005).
(15) G.H. Bazan, P.R. Scalassara, W. Emdo, A. Goedtel, R.H.C. Palacios, W.F. Godoy, Stator short-circuit diagnosis in induction motors using mutual information and intelligent systems, IEEE Trans. on Ind. Electronics, 66, 4, pp. 3237–3246 (Apr. 2019).
(16) S. Bachir S. Tnani, J.C. Rigeassou, G. Champenois, Diagnosis by parameter estimation of stator and rotor faults occurring in induction machines, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 53, 3, pp.963–973 (2006).
(17) M. Bouzid, G. Champenois, A novel reliable indicator of stator windings fault in induction motor extracted from the symmetrical components, IEEE Int. Symposium on Ind. Electronics Conference, Gdansk, Poland, pp. 489–495 (27-30 June 2011).
(18) A. El Kharki, Z. Boulghasoul, L. Et-Taaj, Z. Kandoussi, A. Elbacha, Real-time implementation of backstepping control for high performances induction motor drive, 4th World Conference on Complex Systems (WCCS), Ouarzazate, Morocco, 22-25 April (2019).
(19) R. Trabelsia, A. Khedher, M.F. Mimouni, F. M’sahli, Backstepping control for an induction motor using an adaptive sliding rotor-flux observer, Electric Power Systems Research, 93, pp. 1–15 (December 2012).
(20. S. Vaidyanathan, A.T. Azar, Backstepping control of nonlinear dynamical systems, 1st edition, Academic Press, 15th august 2020, p. 1–515.
(21) M. Horch, A. Boumediene, L. Baghli, Backstepping approach for nonlinear super twisting sliding mode control of an induction motor, 3rd International Conference on Control, Engineering & Information Technology, IEEE CEIT’2015, Tlemcen, Algeria, 25-26 May (2015).
(22) T. Ameid, A. Menacer, R. Romary, R. Pusca, H. Talhaoui, DWT for rotor bars fault detection applied to Backstepping control induction motor drive in low-speed, 43th Annual Conf. of the IEEE Ind. Electronics Society, pp. 8059–8064, 29 Oct.-1 Nov. (2017).
(23) S.S. Dhamal, M.V. Bhatkar, Modelling and simulation of three-phase induction motor to diagnose the performance on inter-turn short circuit fault in stator winding, International Conference on Computing, Power and Communication Technologies (GUCON), pp. 1166–1172, Greater Noida, India, 28-29 Sept. (2018).
(24) A. Hamoudi, B. Kouadri, On-line stator winding inter-turn short-circuits detection in induction motors using recursive levenberg-marquardt algorithm, International Journal on Electrical Engineering and Informatics, 9, 1, pp. 42–57 (2017).
(25) M. Bouakoura, M.-S. Nait-Said, N. Naït-Saïd, Incipient inter-turn short circuit fault estimation based on a faulty model observer and ann-method for induction motor drives, Recent Advances in Electrical & Electronic Engineering, 12, pp. 1–7 (2019).
(26) D. Benoudjit, N. Nait-Said, M-S, Nait-Said, Differential speed control of a propulsion system using fractional-order controller, Electromotion J., 14, 2, pp. 91–98, April-June (2007).