RADIATION OF A SLOT IN HIGH-SPEED DIGITAL SYSTEMS
Keywords:Radiation, Slot, Electromagnetic compatibility, High-speed digital systems
The miniaturization of the digital electronic systems, the increase of the frequency, and the decrease of the power level make the electromagnetic compatibility issues a very important domain in the designing process of digital electronics. Both, printed circuit boards (PCBs) and the enclosure of the digital systems contain slots of different dimensions for connectors and for expansion cards. If they are excited by currents (for example by common currents), or by field distributions, they will radiate electromagnetic energy in the surroundings producing electromagnetic interferences. The paper is studying the electromagnetic field radiated by a slot cut in a conductive surface in the frequency range of 1 to 40 GHz
(1) I. Plotog, G. Vărzaru, C. Turcu, T. Cucu, P. Svasta, N. Codreanu, EMC requirements for DFM multicriterial approach, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn. – Électrotechn. et Énerg., 53, Suppl., pp. 155–165 (2008).
(2) H.B. Bakoglu, Circuits, Interconnections, and Packaging for VLSI, Addison Wesley: Upper Saddle River, NJ, 1990.
(3) Y. Fu, T. Hubing, Analysis of radiated emissions from a printed circuit board using expert system algorithms, IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 49, 1, pp. 68-75 (2007).
(4) G. Cerri, R.De Leo, V.M. Primiani, Theoretical and experimental evaluation of the electromagnetic radiation from apertures in shielded enclosures, IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 34, 4 pp. 432-433 (1992).
(5) L. Buzinu, L. Anton, D. Deparateanu, M. Nicolaescu, Analysis of an array of rectangular apertures based on the active parameters of its infinite extension, 12th Intern. Conf. on Comm., Bucharest (2018).
(6) J. D. Kraus, Antennas and Wave Propagation, Mc Graw-Hill, Inc, U.S.A., 2017.
(7) C. Poschalkoand S. Selberherr, Calculation of the radiation from the slot of a slim enclosure with a cavity resonator model, Asia-Pacific Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility and 19th Int. Zurich Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility.
(8) M. Li, J. Nuebel, J.L. Drewniak, R.E. DuBroff, T.H. Hubing, T.P. Van Doren, EMI from cavity modes of shielding enclosures—FDTD modeling and measurements, IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 42, 1, pp. 29-38 (2000).