OPTIMIZING THE ELECTRONIC CONTROL OF SUCTION VALVES FOR GAS COMPRESSION UNITS
Keywords:Electronic control, Programmable Logic Controller, Proportional-Integrative-Derivative controller, Suction valve, Gas compressor, Monitoring sensors, Acquired parameters
In certain compression stations where twin-screw compressors assemblies are installed, certain operational problems have been observed when starting the assembly again after it was shut down. The downtime can vary from several minutes to a few days, depending on the shutdown causes. The gases accumulated in the compressor suction pipe can cause the inlet gas pressure to be above the typical pressure values ranging from atmospheric pressure (1 bar) to 1.5 bar. The compressor is automatically shut down via the sequences implemented in the automation control system if the pressure at the inlet of the compression unit exceeds 1.5 bar, this value being the maximum suction pressure that the compressor unit is designed to withstand. The solution introduces a potentiometer for providing feedback on the suction valve opening angle and thus optimizing the valve control to prevent the occurrence of higher pressures which may lead to failed start-ups or emergency shutdowns.
(1) C. Nechifor, C. Borzea, I. Vlăducă, I. Mălăel, F. Niculescu, Electrically Actuated Valves for Gas Compression Installations Located in Potentially Explosive Atmospheres, MATEC Web of Conferences, 305, p. 00027 (2020).
(2) F. Lu, J. M. Zhang, Y.M. Shen, Simulation and Research on Flow-field of Butterfly Valve in Standard Variable Head Flow Device, in 18th International Flow Measurement Conference, FLOMEKO, Lisbon, Portugal (2019).
(3) O. Kivanc, O. Ustun, G. Tosun, E. Oguz, Y. Mutlu, Design and Implementation of an Electric Actuated Valve for Precise Fluid Control, Gazi University Journal of Science, 32, 2, pp. 483-492 (2019).
(4) Q. Zhou, L. Liu, L. Jiang, Z. Xu, CMAC-PID Composite Control for the Position Control of a Fully Variable Valve System, International Journal of Automotive Technology, 24, pp. 681–691 (2023).
(5) A. Safaat, A. Noviyanto, Failure analysis of rotary screw compressor and its modifications, International Journal of Innovation in Mechanical Engineering and Advanced Materials, 3, 3 (2022).
(6) A. Bahadori, Chapter 5 - Gas Compressors, in the book: Natural Gas Processing, pp. 223–273 (2014).
(7) Y. Zhao, X.Xu, M. Qadrdan, J. Wu, Optimal operation of compressor units in gas networks to provide flexibility to power systems, Applied Energy, 290, p. 116740 (2021).
(8) S. Tomescu, V. Petrescu, A. Serban, S. Voicu, Energy Efficiency of an Oil Injected Screw Compressor Operating at Various Discharge Pressures, 10th International Conference on Energy and Environment, CIEM (2021).
(9) H.H. Patel, V.J. Lakhera, A critical review of the experimental studies related to twin screw compressors, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part E: Journal of Process Mechanical Engineering, 234, 1, pp. 157–170 (2019).
(10) N. Seshaiah, R.K. Sahoo, S.K. Sarangi, Theoretical and experimental studies on oil injected twin-screw air compressor when compressing different light and heavy gases, Applied Thermal Engineering, 30, 4, pp. 327–339, (2010).
(11) I.C. Mustață, L. Bacali, M. Bucur, R.M. Ciuceanu, A. Ioanid, A. Ștefan, The Evolution of Industry 4.0 and Its Potential Impact on Industrial Engineering and Management Education, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn.– Électrotechn. et Énerg., 67, 1, pp. 73–78 (2022).
(12) S. Paker, I. Ekmekci, Electrical Hazards in Industrial Facilities and Evaluation of the Measures, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn.– Électrotechn. et Énerg., 67, 2, pp. 133–138 (2022).
(13) P. Milosavljevic, A.G. Marchetti, A. Cortinovis, T. Faulwasser, M. Mercangöz, D. Bonvin, Real-time optimization of load sharing for gas compressors in the presence of uncertainty, Applied Energy, 272, p. 11488 (2020).
(14) R. Kurz, K. Brun, Process Control for Compression Systems, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power-transactions of the ASME (2017).
(15) R.S. Gesser, R. Sartori, T.P. Damo, C.M. Vettorazzo, L.B. Becker, D.M. Lima, M.L. de Lima, L.D. Ribeiro, M.C.M. M. Campos, J.E. Normey-Rico, Advanced control applied to a gas compression system of an offshore platform: From modeling to related system infrastructure, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 208, p. 109428 (2022).
(16) ***Introduction to Butterfly Valves, The Process Piping (2020).
(17) C. Nechifor, C. Borzea, A. Stoicescu, D. Lale, M. Vasile, Modular automation cabinet for proactive monitoring in ATEX Zone 2, MATEC Web of Conferences, 354, p. 00044 (2022).
(18) S.A. Babichev, P.A. Zakharov, O.V. Kryukov, Automated monitoring system for drive motors of gas-compressor units, Automation and Remote Control, 72, 1, pp. 175–180 (2011).
(19) A. Benachour, E.M. Berkouk, M.O. Mahmoudi, A new direct torque control of induction machine fed by indirect matrix converter, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn.– Électrotechn. et Énerg., 62, 1, pp. 25–30 (2017).
(20) R. Arun, R. Muniraj, M.S.W. Iruthayarajan, Performance analysis of proportional integral derivative controller with delayed external reset and proportional integral derivative controller for time delay process, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn. – Électrotechn. et Énerg., 66, 4, pp. 267–273 (2021).
(21) Q.K. Nguyen, K.H. Jung, G.N. Lee, S.B. Park, J.M. Kim, S.B. Suh, J.Y. Lee, Experimental study on pressure characteristics and flow coefficient of butterfly valve, International Journal of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, 15, p. 100495 (2023).