ENERGY CONSUMPTION ANALYSIS FOR AN EV POWERTRAIN USING THREE BLDC IDENTICAL MOTORS
Keywords:permanent magnet (PM) motors, electric vehicle (EV), multi-motor powertrain
Using more than one motor in an EV (Electric Vehicle) powertrain enhances the vehicle’s torque, acceleration, and speed capabilities. A more tractive force produced by the electric powertrain requires more electric current from the battery. In modern EVs, mechanical power production can be approached to the wheels reducing the mechanical losses in the transmissions. It is the case with multiple-motor powertrains. Several advantages regarding vehicle control, physical performance, and energy efficiency improvement are obtained. In the current study, a BLDC (brushless dc) motor is investigated from the efficiency point of view to build a multiple-motor powertrain. A new methodology uses analytic calculations, simulations, and physical measurements. A powertrain with three identical motors results in a new vehicle configuration. Each motor's energy consumption improvements are analyzed following a normalized testing procedure. The results are compared with those of a single-motor powertrain.
(1) L. Popescu, Electromobility topics entering a new decade, Electric machines, materials and drives present and trends (SME 2020), APME, 16, 1, pp. 131–140 (2020).
(2) M.V. Castro et al., A review of existing multi-motor electric powertrain sizing strategies, 2021 24th International Conference on Electrical Machines and Systems (ICEMS), pp. 2419–2424 (2021).
(3) S. Cui, S. Ha, C.C. Chan, Overview of multi-machine drive systems for electric and hybrid electric vehicles, 2014 IEEE Conference and Expo Transportation Electrification Asia-Pacific (ITEC Asia-Pacific), pp. 1–6 (2014).
(4. L. Popescu, L. Dumitran, A. Stanescu, Multi-motor solutions for electric vehicles, 2021 International Conference on Applied and Theoretical Electricity (ICATE), pp. 1–6 (2021).
(5) Y. Xu, Z. Cheng, W. Tang, Design of Multi-motor Synchronous Control System, 2021 3rd Asia Energy and Electrical Engineering Symposium (AEEES), pp. 846–851 (2021).
(6) O. Craiu, T. I. Ichim, L. M. Melcescu, L. Popescu, Optimization of a high torque density small hybrid stepper using 3D FEM model, International Symposium on Power Electronics, Electrical Drives, Automation and Motion (SPEEDAM), pp. 610–615 (2022).
(7) O. Nezamuddin, R. Bagwe, E. Dos Santos, A Multi-Motor Architecture for Electric Vehicles, IEEE Transportation Electrification Conference and Expo (ITEC), pp. 1–6 (2019).
(8) M.D. Jahnke, A.M. Miguel, J.P. Rastelli, P.A. Pablo, A.M. Sandi, Multi motor electric powertrains: Technological potential and implementation of a model based approach, IECON, 42nd Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, pp. 223–228 (2016).
(9) L. Popescu, A. Stănescu, Şt. Vasiliu, Didactical platform for multi-motor solutions, in Electric machines, materials and drives present and trends (SME 2021), APME, 17, 1, pp. 172–180 (2021).
(10) A. Rassolkin, H. Heidari, A. Kallaste, T. Vaimann, J.P. Acedo, E. Romero-Cadaval, Efficiency map comparison of induction and synchronous reluctance motors, 26th International Workshop on Electric Drives: Improvement in Efficiency of Electric Drives (IWED), pp. 1–4 (2019).
(11) H. Sano, K. Semba, Y. Suzuki, T. Yamada, Investigation in the accuracy of FEA Based Efficiency Maps for PMSM traction machines, 2022 International Conference on Electrical Machines (ICEM), pp. 2061–2066 (2022).
(12) S. Stipetic, J. Goss, Calculation of efficiency maps using scalable saturated flux-linkage and loss model of a synchronous motor, XXII International Conference on Electrical Machines (ICEM), pp. 1380–1386 (2016).
(13) H.-C. Jung, D.-J. Kim, S.-Y. Jung, D. Lee, Optimization method to maximize efficiency map of a drive motor with electrical winding changeover technique for hybrid EV, IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, 30, 4, pp. 1–5 (2020).
(14) H. Sano et al., Loss analysis of a permanent magnet traction motor in a finite element analysis based efficiency map, International Conference on Electrical Machines (ICEM), pp. 2301–2306 (2020).
(15) M.H. Mohammadi, D.A. Lowther, A computational study of efficiency map calculation for synchronous ac motor drives including cross coupling and saturation effects, IEEE Conference on Electromagnetic Field Computation (CEFC), pp. 1 (2016).
(16) L. Song, Z. Li, Z. Cui, G. Yang, Efficiency map calculation for surface-mounted permanent-magnet in-wheel motor based on design parameters and control strategy, IEEE Conference and Expo Transportation Electrification Asia-Pacific (ITEC Asia-Pacific), pp. 1–6 (2014).
(17) T. Tudorache, A. Marinescu, A. Vintilă, Inductive coupler for battery charging system of heavy electric vehicles, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn. – Électrotechn. Et Énerg., 68, 1, pp. 71–76 (2023).
(18) J.G. Malar et al., Electric vehicle onboard charging via harris hawks optimization-based fractional-order sliding mode controller, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn. – Électrotechn. Et Énerg., 68, 1, pp. 30–35 (2023).
(19) T. Roubache, S. Chaouch, Nonlinear fault tolerant control of dual three-phase induction machines based electric vehicles, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn. – Électrotechn. Et Énerg., 68, 1, pp. 65–70 (2023).
(20) L. Popescu, A. Stănescu, Efficiency maps for an EV BLDC motor using analytic calculation and simulation, in Electric machines, materials and drives present and trends (SME 2022), APME, 18, 1, pp. 89–99 (2022).
(21) G. Haines, N. Ertugrul and W. L. Soong, Autonomously obtaining system efficiency maps from motor drive systems, IEEE International Conference on Industrial Technology (ICIT), pp. 231–236 (2019).
(22) S. M. Lukic, A. Emado, Modeling of electric machines for automotive applications using efficiency maps, Proceedings: Electrical Insulation Conference and Electrical Manufacturing and Coil Winding Technology Conference (Cat. No.03CH37480), pp. 543–550 (2003).
(23) J. Brousek, L. Krcmar, P. Rydlo, Efficiency measuring of electric drive with traction synchronous motor with permanent magnets, IEEE International Workshop of Electronics, Control, Measurement, Signals and their application to Mechatronics (ECMSM), pp. 1–5 (2021).
(24) S. Stipetic, J. Goss, D. Zarko, M. Popescu, Calculation of efficiency maps using a scalable saturated model of synchronous permanent magnet machines, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 54, 5, pp. 4257–4267 (2018).
(25) L. Popescu, L. Melcescu, O. Craiu, A. Craciunescu, V. Bostan, Phase advance, and dwell control applied to a pm BLDC motor for increasing the maximum speed of an electric vehicle, International Symposium on Power Electronics, Electrical Drives, Automation and Motion (SPEEDAM), pp. 850–855 (2022).
(26) B. Kuznetsov, I. Bovdui, T. Nikitina, V. Kolomiets, B. Kobilyanskiy, Multi-motor plant related electric drives robust control synthesis, IEEE 4th International Conference on Intelligent Energy and Power Systems (IEPS), pp. 242–245 (2020).
(27) K. Sharma, A. Agrawal, S. Bandopadhaya, S. Roy, Fuzzy logic based multi motor speed control of electric vehicle, IEEE 5th International Conference for Convergence in Technology (I2CT), pp. 1–5 (2019).
(28) F. Gustin, A. Berthon, Simulation of a multi-motor soft switching converter for electric vehicle application, Proceedings IPEMC Third International Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference (IEEE Cat. No.00EX435), 2, pp. 660–664 (2000).
(29) L. Popescu, L. Melcescu, L. Dumitran, A. Crăciunescu, Analysis of the influence of wheel torque distribution on energy efficiency in the case of an electric vehicle with two motors [abstract], in Proceeding book of 1st International Conference on Applied Engineering and Natural Sciences (ICAENS), Konya, Turkey, pp. 300 (2021).
(30) M.V. Castro et al., Non–dominated sorting genetic algorithm based determination of optimal torque–split ratio for a dual–motor electric vehicle, IECON47th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, pp. 1–6 (2021).
(31) R. de Castro, R. E. Araujo, H. Oliveira, Design, development and characterisation of a FPGA platform for multi-motor electric vehicle control, IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference, pp. 145–152 (2009).
(32) D.V. Volkov, Y.P. Stashinov, Equalization of torques in multi-motor electric drives with estimation of motors parameters, International Multi-Conference on Industrial Engineering and Modern Technologies (FarEastCon), pp. 1–5 (2018).
(33) S. Cui, S. Han, C.C. Chan, Overview of multi-machine drive systems for electric and hybrid electric vehicles, IEEE Conference and Expo Transportation Electrification Asia-Pacific (ITEC Asia-Pacific), pp. 1–6 (2014).
(34) L. Popescu, L. Melcescu, L. Dumitran, A. Crăciunescu, A. Stănescu, Control analysis of a bi-motor electric traction system for energy and performance optimization, International Scientific Conference on Communications, Information, Electronic and Energy Systems (CIEES), 2021, AIP Conference Proceedings, 2570, 040002 (2022).
(35) M. Pechinik, M. Pushkar, S. Burian, L. Kazmina, Investigation of energy characteristics of the electromechanical system in multi-motor conveyors under variation of traction load level on the belt, IEEE 6th International Conference on Energy Smart Systems (ESS), pp. 303–306 (2019).
(36) Ž. Ferková, P. Bober, Magnetic shield optimization for the multi-motor assembly, APME, pp. 1–4 (2017).
(37) L. Mo, Power balance control of multi-motor driving using double fuzzy controller, IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Computing and Intelligent Systems, pp. 67–70 (2010).
(38) C.L. Popescu, L.M. Dumitran, A. Stănescu, Simulation of multi-motor propulsion system for energy efficiency in electric vehicles in Annals of the University of Craiova, Electrical Engineering series, 45, 1, pp 75–82 (2021).
(39) J. Lemmens, J. Driesen, Synchronization and efficiency analysis of a direct-drive multi-motor application, 6th IET International Conference on Power Electronics, Machines, and Drives (PEMD 2012), pp. 1–6 (2012).
(40) X. Sun et al., MPTC for PMSMs of EVs with multi-motor driven system considering optimal energy allocation, in IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, 55, 7, pp. 1–6, (2019).
(41) L. Popescu, L. Melcescu, O. Craiu, Energy efficiency improvement for an electric vehicle PM BLDC propulsion system using phase advance and dwell control, International Conference on Electrical, Computer, Communications and Mechatronics Engineering (ICECCME), pp. 1–6 (2022).