EXPERIMENTAL TESTS WITH PIEZOELECTRIC HARVESTER FOR TUNING RESONANT FREQUENCY TO VIBRATING SOURCE
Keywords:Piezoelectric Harvester, Electric Response, Resonant Frequency, Forced Vibrations, Continuous Harmonic Motion
The paper deals with experimental testing of a cantilever piezoelectric harvester, aiming to obtain a preliminary assessment of the behavior that should be expected when harnessing the vibrations of a compressor. For this purpose, to exploit the resonant structure to the fullest and obtain the maximum electric response, its fundamental frequency ought to be adjusted to enter resonance at the frequency of the vibrating source. Since the natural frequency of the piezoelectric cantilever is higher than the compressor’s male rotor frequency targeted, an inertial mass was attached at the tip of the cantilever. Passive frequency control is preferred because it does not consume any energy. However, suppose the source does not have a stable frequency in a quasi-static regime. In that case, semi-active control solutions should be adopted, changing frequency from the components of an external electric circuitry connected.
(1) A. Erturk, D. Inman, An experimentally validated bimorph cantilever model for piezoelectric energy harvesting from base excitations, Smart Materials and Structures, 18, 2, p. 025009 (2009).
(2) E. Kurt, Y. Uzun, Nonlinear problems in piezoelectric harvesters under magnetic field, in: N. Bizon, N. Tabatabaei, F. Blaabjerg, E. Kurt (eds.), Energy harvesting and energy efficiency, Lecture Notes in Energy, 37, Springer, Cham., pp. 107–142 (2017).
(3) A. Erturk, D. Inman, A brief review of the literature of piezoelectric energy harvesting circuits, Piezoelectric Energy Harvesting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., pp. 325–342 (2011).
(4) A. Belkaid, I. Colak, K. Kayisli, A direct adaptive sliding mode high voltage gain peak power tracker for thermoelectric applications, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn.– Électrotechn. et Énerg., 66, 2, pp. 131–136 (2021).
(5) C. Borzea, D. Comeagă, Adjusting the resonant frequency of a cantilever piezoelectric harvester, Scientific J. TURBO, V, 2, pp. 11-18 (2018).
(6) C. Borzea, D. Comeagă, A. Stoicescu, C. Nechifor, Piezoelectric harvester performance analysis for vibrations harnessing, U.P.B. Scientific Bulletin, Series C Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, 81, 3, pp. 237–248 (2019).
(7) A. Quattrocchi, F. Freni, R. Montanini, Power conversion efficiency of cantilever-type vibration energy harvesters based on piezoceramic films, IEEE Trans. on Instrum. and Measurement, 70, pp. 1–9 (2021).
(8) S. Kouritem, M. Bani-Hani, M. Beshir, M. Elshabasy, W. Altabey, Automatic Resonance Tuning Technique for an Ultra-Broadband Piezoelectric Energy Harvester, Energies, 15, 19, p. 7271, (2022).
(9) S. Kouritem, W. Altabey, Ultra-broadband natural frequency using automatic resonance tuning of energy harvester and deep learning algorithms, Energy Conversion and Management, 272, p. 116332 (2022).
(10) C. Borzea, V. Petrescu, I. Vlăducă, M. Roman, G. Badea, Potential of Twin-Screw Compressor as Vibration Source for Energy Harvesting Applications, Electric Machines, Materials and Drives - Present and Trends (APME), 2021, 1, pp. 90–95 (2022).
(11) D. Alizzio, A. Quattrocchi, R. Montanini, Development and characterisation of a self-powered measurement buoy prototype by means of piezoelectric energy harvester for monitoring activities in a marine environment, ACTA IMEKO, 10, 4, p. 201 (2021).
(12) A. Stoicescu, M. Deaconu, R. Hrițcu, C. Nechifor, V. Vilag, Vibration energy harvesting potential for turbomachinery applications, INCAS Bulletin, 10, 1, pp. 135–148 (2018).
(13) *** Midé Technology, PPA PRODUCTS Datasheet & User Manual (2017).
(14) C. Borzea, C. Comeagă, A. Săvescu, Boosting the electric response of a cantilevered piezoelectric harvester by constraining tip curvature, 8th European Conference on Renewable Energy Systems (ECRES 2020), Istanbul, Turkey, pp. 344–350, 24-25 August 2020.
(15) C. Harris, A. Piersol (eds), Harris’ Shock and Vibration Handbook, Fifth Edition, McGraw-Hill, ISBN 0-07-137081-1 (2002).
(16) Anghel, C. Mares, Integral Formulation for Stability and Vibration Analysis of Beams on Elastic Foundation, Proceedings of the Romanian Academy, Series A, 20, 3, pp. 285-293 (2019).
(17) ***R. Nave, Simple Harmonic Motion Frequency, HyperPhysics. (2017).
(18) D. Lee, J. Shin, H. Kim, S. Hur, S. Sun, J. Jang, S. Chang, I. Jung, S. Nahm, H. Kang, C. Kang, S. Kim, J. Baik, I. Yoo, K. Cho, H. Song, Autonomous Resonance‐Tuning Mechanism for Environmental Adaptive Energy Harvesting, Adv. Sci., 2022, p. 22051 (2022).
(19) A. Ounissi, A. Kaddouri, M. Aggoun, R. Abdessemed, Second Order Sliding Mode Controllers of Micropositioning Stage Piezoelectric Actuator with Colman-Hodgdon Model Parameters, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn.– Électrotechn. et Énerg., 67, 1, pp. 41–46 (2022).
(20) T. H. Van, T. L. Van, T. Thi, M. Duong, G. Sava, Improving the Output of DC-DC Converter by Phase Shift Full Bridge Applied to Renewable Energy, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn.– Électrotechn. et Énerg., 66, 3, pp. 175–180 (2021).
(21) A. Bogza, D. Floricau, The Parallel Connection of Phase-Shifted Full-Bridge DC-DC Converters, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn. – Électrotechn. Et Énerg., 65, 3–4, pp. 229–234 (2020).