PERFORMANCE INVESTIGATION OF A WIND POWER SYSTEM BASED ON DOUBLE-FEED INDUCTION GENERATOR: FUZZY VERSUS PROPORTIONAL INTEGRAL CONTROLLERS
Keywords:Doubly-fed induction generator, Fuzzy logic controller, Maximum power point tracking, Conversion system, Wind turbine, Modeling, Converters
This paper presents a comparative control performance study based on different combinations of classical proportional-integral (PI) and intelligent fuzzy logic controllers. The control settings were used to control both active and reactive powers to achieve the optimum operation of a double-feed induction generator (DFIG) integrated into a wind power conversion system with maximum power point tracking (MPPT). For this purpose, a mathematical model of the conversion system (wind turbine-DFIG) is established. The active and reactive powers at the output of the DFIG are controlled separately to achieve a better power factor. The complete model of the wind energy conversion system is simulated and tested in the Matlab-Simulink environment. The results obtained are compared to PI controllers. The study clearly shows the effectiveness of introducing the fuzzy technique in the control loops.
(1) F. Amrane, A. Chaiba, S. Mekhilef, “High performances of grid-connected DFIG based on direct power control with fixed switching frequency via MPPT strategy using MRAC and neuro-fuzzy control”, J. of Power Technologies., 96, 1, pp. 2739 (2016).
(2) M. Bezza, B.EL. Moussaoui, A. Fakkar, “Sensorless MPPT fuzzy controller for DFIG wind turbine”, Energy Procedia., 18, pp. 339 – 348 (2012).
(3) W.C. de Carvalho, R.P. Bataglioli, R.A.S. Fernandes, D.V. Coury, “Fuzzy-based approach for power smoothing of a full-converter wind turbine generator using a supercapacitor energy storage”, Electric Power Systems Research, 184, pp. 10628796 (2020).
(4) A. Asri, Y. Mihoub, S. Hassaine, P.O. Logerais, T. Allaoui, “Intelligent maximum power tracking control of a PMSG wind energy conversion system”, Asian J Control., pp. 1–11 (2019).
(5) S. Bayhan, S. Demirbas, H. Abu-Rub, “Fuzzy-PI-based sensorless frequency and voltage controller for doubly fed induction generator connected to a dc microgrid”, IET Renewable Power Generation. 10 Iss, 8, pp. 10691077 (2016).
(6) K. Bedoud, M.A. Rachedi, T. Bahi, R. Lakel, “Adaptive fuzzy gain scheduling of PI controller for control of the wind energy conversion systems”, Energy Procedia., 74, pp. 211 – 225 (2015).
(7) M. El Azzaoui, H. Mahmoudi, “Fuzzy-PI control of a doubly fed induction generator-based wind power system”, Int. J. Automation and Control. 11, 1, pp. 5466 (2017).
(8) S. Tamalouzt, K. Idjdarene, T. Rekioua, R. Abdessemed, “Direct torque control of wind turbine driven doubly fed induction generator”, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn.– Électrotechn et Énerg., 61, 3, pp. 244–249 (2016).
(9) T. Chia-Sheng, H. Chih-Ming, L. Kai-Hung, “Design of novel intelligent controller for doubly-fed induction generator-driven wind turbine to improve transient control performance”, Electric Power Components and Systems., 0, 0, pp. 1–12 (2020).
(10) A.M. Eltamaly, H.M. Farh, “Maximum power extraction from wind energy system based on fuzzy logic control”, Electric Power Systems Research, 97, pp. 144-150 (2013).
(11) S. Ghulam Kaloi, W. Jie, H.B. Mazhar, “Active and reactive power control of the doubly fed induction generator based on wind energy conversion system”, Energy Reports, 2, pp. 194–200, 2016.
(12) Z. Tir, O.P. Malik, M.N. Hashemnia, “Intelligent control of a brushless doubly-fed induction generator”, Int. J. of System Assurance Engineering and Management., 10, 1, pp. 326–338 (2019).
(13) C.M. Rocha-Osorio, J.S. Solís-Chaves, I.R.S. Casella, C.E. Capovilla, J.L. Azcue Puma, A.J. Sguarezi Filho, “GPRS/EGPRS standards applied to DTC of a DFIG using fuzzy – PI controllers”, Electrical Power and Energy Systems, 93, pp. 365–373 (2017).
(14) L. Saihi, Y. Bakou, F. Ferroudji, B. Berbaoui, L. Djilali, “MPPTF & pitch fuzzy controller of a wind turbine system using DFIG”, 1st Int. Conf. on Sustainable Renewable Energy Systems and Applications (ICSRESA), Tebessa, Algeria December 04-05 (2019).
(15) B. Ouamri, Z. Ahmed-Foitih, “Comparative analysis of robust controller based on classical proportional-integral controller approach for power control of wind energy system,” Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn.– Électrotechnique. et Énerg., 63, 2, pp. 210–216 (2018).
(16) K. Imran, Z. Kamran, U. Waqar, S. Ul Islam, I. Muhammad, H. Sadam, H. Je Kim, “Dynamic modeling and robust controllers design for doubly fed induction generator-based wind turbines under unbalanced grid fault conditions”, Energies., 12, 3, 45477, (2019).
(17) E. Marouane, M. Hassene, “Modeling and control of a wind system based doubly fed induction generator: optimization of the power produced”, J. of Electrical & Electronic Systems., 4, 1, pp. 304314 (2015).
(18) K. Ouhaddach, H. El Fadil, A. Senhaji Malih, L. Ammeh, “New MPPT optimizer for wind turbine energy sources”, Int. Conf. on Automation, Control Engineering and Computer Science (ACECS) Proceedings of Engineering and Technology – PET, 20, pp. 59–64 (2017).
(19) H. Guolian, J. Zhuo, Y. Yu, Z. Jianhua, “Variable universe fuzzy controller used in MPPT based on DFIG wind energy conversion system”, 28th Chinese Control and Decision Conference (CCDC), China, pp. 587175 (2016).
(20) D. M’hamed, A. Abdel Ghani, T. Ahmed, A. Mohamed, “Commande adaptative d’un système éolien”, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn. – Électrotechnique. et Énerg., 60, 1, pp. 99–110 (2015).
(21) C. Zafer, L. Murat, Ç. Ertuğrul, B. Necaattin, “Control of pitch angle of wind turbine by fuzzy PID controller”, Intelligent Automation & Soft Computing., 22, 3, pp. 463471 (2016).
(22) H. Ehsan, S. Ghazanfar, “Output power leveling for DFIG wind turbine system using intelligent pitch angle control”, Automatika, 58, 4, pp. 363–374 (2018)
(23) B. Samir, K. D. Saheb, “Fuzzy robust control of double fed induction generator with parameter uncertainties”, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn.– Électrotechn. et Énerg., 61, 4, pp. 367–371 (2016).
(24) S. Arezki, M. Boudour, “Study and regulation of dc bus voltages of wind-photovoltaic system”, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn.– Électrotechn. et Énerg., 59, 1, pp. 35–46 (2014).
(25) N. Ibrahima, S.M. Sondes, S.B. Ilhem, B.M Alioune, T. Lamine, “An adaptive dc-link voltage control for doubly fed induction generator wind turbine system”, 3rd International Conference on Electrical Sciences and Technologies in Maghreb (CISTEM), Algiers, Algeria, October 29-31 (2018).