ANALYSIS OF THE IMPACT OF DIFFERENT DISTRIBUTED GENERATOR TECHNOLOGIES ON HARMONIC VOLTAGES
Keywords:Harmonic voltages, Photovoltaic (PV), Small hydropower plant (sHPP), Distribution network, Power quality (PQ)
While distributed generators (DGs) can reduce carbon dioxide emissions, they can also cause disturbances and lead to power quality (PQ) issues, with harmonic voltages being an important parameter to consider. In this paper, the impact of 14 connected photovoltaics (PVs) and a small hydropower plant (sHPP) on harmonic voltage distortions in a real medium voltage (MV) and low voltage (LV) distribution network in Bosnia and Herzegovina was analyzed. Simulation tools carried out by DigSILENT PowerFactory offer a wide range of advantages that give system operators the ability to have insight into PQ behavior in the presence of intermittent renewable energy sources (RES). Due to the inverter-based electricity generation, PV power plants inject harmonics into the LV network. The impact is relatively small and does not violate the limits from the European PQ standard EN 50160 due to the relatively small power of the modelled existing PVs. However, integrating additional PVs could lead to a violation of limits. Therefore, where a large power of PV power plants is installed, if it is possible to integrate sHPP, they will contribute to the reduction of generated harmonics without the need to reduce the power of PV. The contribution of this paper is that it compares the impact of different power generation technologies on harmonic voltages using data from a real network rather than a test network.
(1) A. F. Abdul Kadir, A. Mohamed, H. Shareef, Harmonic impact of different distributed generation units on low voltage distribution system, IEEE International Electric Machines & Drives Conference (IEMDC), Niagara Falls, ON, Canada, 2011.
(2) Alma Halilovic, Lejla Mujanovic, Jasna Hivziefendic, Influence of the distributed generation on the power quality in distribution network, Journal of Natural Sciences and Engineering, 3, 1 (2019).
(3) R. Sinuvla, K. M. Abo-Al-Ez, M. T. Kahn, Efficiency in distribution networks with harmonic distortion, 17th Industrial and Commercial Use of Energy Conference, The Riverclub, Cape Town, 2019.
(4) K. Fekete, Z. Klaic, Lj. Majdandzic, Expansion of the residential photovoltaic systems and its harmonic impact on the distribution grid, Renewable Energy, 43, pp. 140–148 (2012).
(5) I.T. Papaioannou, A.S. Bouhouras, A.G. Marinopoulos, M.C. Alexiadis, C.S. Demoulias, D.P. Labridis, Harmonic impact of small photovoltaic systems connected to the LV distribution network, IEEE International Conference on European Electricity Market EEM, Lisboa, Portugal, 2008.
(6) A. Bosovic, H. Renner, A. Abart, E. Traxler, J. Meyer, M. Domagk, M. Music, Validation of aggregated harmonic current source models based on different customer type configurations, IEEE Power Quality and Supply Reliability Conference (PQ), Tallinn, Estonia, 2016.
(7) S.M. Ahsan, H.A.B. Khan, A. Hussain, S. Tariq, N.A. Zaffar, Harmonic analysis of grid-connected solar PV systems with nonlinear household loads in low-voltage distribution networks, Sustainability, 13(7), 3709 (2021).
(8) J. Smith, S. Ronnberg, A. Blanco, M. Bollen, Z. Emin, D. Ilisiu, L. Koo, J. Meyer, D. Mushamalirwa, P. Ribeiro, N. Wilmot, Power quality aspects of solar power – Results from CIGRE JWG C4/C6.29, 24th International Conference on Electricity Distribution, Glasgow, 2017.
(9) A. Bosovic, M. Music, H. Renner, A. Abart, E. Traxler, J. Meyer, M. Domagk, Modelling the propagation of harmonic voltages in large medium voltage distribution network, 25th International Conference on Electricity Distribution, Madrid, 2019.
(10) S. Muller, J. Meyer, Challenges and pitfalls of implementing realistic simulations to study harmonic levels in public low voltage network, IEEE Power Tech Conference, Milan, Italy, 2019.
(11) A. Elkholy, Harmonics assessment and mathematical modeling of power quality parameters for low voltage grid-connected photovoltaic systems, Solar Energy, Elsevier, 183, pp. 315–326 (2019).
(12) S.N. Guler, K.C. Bayindir, A. Tan, Harmonic effects on an OWPP connection to Northwestern part of Turkey-A case study, International Journal of Scientific Engineering and Science, 6, pp. 36-45 (2022).
(13) K. Yang, M.H.J. Bollen, H. Amaris, C. Alvarez, Decompositions of harmonic propagation in wind power plant, Electric Power Systems Research, Elsevier, 141, pp. 84-90, 2016.
(14) N. Nalo, A. Bosovic, A. Merzic, M. Music, Analysis of the impact of electric vehicle charging on harmonic voltages in a low-voltage distribution network, Elekrotehniski Vestnik, 88, 4, pp. 218-226, 2021.
(15) T. Pothinun, S. Premrudeepreechacharn, Power quality impact of charging station on MV distribution networks: A case study in PEA electrical power system, 53rd International Universities Power Engineering Conference (UPEC), Glasgow, UK, 2018.
(16) E. Kisija, A. Bosovic, M. Music, Analysis of the impact of different DG technologies (SHPP vs. PV) on short-circuit power and harmonics in a real MV distribution network, Elekrotehniski Vestnik, 88, 1-2, pp.17-25, 2021.
(17) A. Chidurala, T.K. Saha, N. Mithulananthan, Harmonic impact of high penetration photovoltaic system on unbalanced distribution networks – learning from an urban photovoltaic network, IET Renewable Power Generation, 10, 4, pp. 485–494 (2016).
(18) K. Fekete, Z. Klaic, Lj. Majdandzic, Expansion of the residential photovoltaic systems and its harmonic impact on the distribution grid, 2012 Renewable Energy, 43, pp. 140–148 (2012).
(19) I.C. Barutcu, E. Karatepe, M. Boztepe, Impact of harmonic limits on PV penetration levels in unbalanced distribution networks considering load and irradiance uncertainty, International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, Elsevier, 171 (2020).
(20.) S.S. Rangarajan, E.R. Collins, J.C. Fox, Efficacy of a smart photovoltaic inverter as a virtual detuner for mitigating network harmonic resonance in distribution systems, Electric Power Systems Research, Elsevier, 171, pp. 175–184(2019).
(21) S. Wang, X. Liu, K. Wang, L. Wu, Y. Zhang, Tracing harmonic contributions of multiple distributed generations in distribution systems with uncertainty, International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, Elsevier, 95, pp. 585–591 (2018).
(22) I.N. Santos, V. Cuk, P.M. de Almeida, M. Bollen, P.F. Ribeiro, Considerations on hosting capacity for harmonic distortions on transmission and distribution systems, Electric Power System Research, Elsevier, 119, pp. 199–206 (2015).
(23) H.A. Pereira, F.D. Freijedo, M.M. Silva, V.F. Mendes, R. Teodorescu, Harmonic current prediction by impedance modeling of grid-tied inverters: A 1.4 MW PV plant case study, International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, Elsevier, 93, pp. 30–38 (2017).
(24) M. Ayub, C. K. Gan, A.Fazliana, A. Kadir, The impact of grid-connected PV systems on harmonic distortion, IEEE Innovative Smart Grid Technologies - Asia (ISGT Asia), Melaka, 2014.
(25) A. Agrawal, D.K. Singh, Harmonic impact of grid connected photovoltaic system on low voltage power system, IEEE International Conference for Convergence of Technology I2CT, Pune, India, 2018.
(26) M. Bajaj, A.K. Singh, Grid integrated renewable DG systems: A review of power quality challenges and state‐of‐the‐art mitigation techniques, International Journal of Energy Research, 44, pp. 26–69 (2020).
(27) G. McLorn, D. Laverty, D.J. Morrow, S. McLoone, Load and harmonic distortion characterization of modern low-energy lighting under applied voltage variation, Electric Power Systems Research, Elsevier, 169, pp. 124–138 (2019).
(28) C. K. Neha, M. Hegde, V. Aher, V. Hegde, Effect of home appliances on power quality of conventional grid, IEEE International Conference on Circuits, Communication, Control and Computing, 2016.
(29) G. Ye, M. Nijhuis, V. Cuk, J. Cobben, Appliance-based residential harmonic load modelling, IEEE Manchester PowerTech, 2017.
(30) R. Torquato, F.C. L. Trindade, W. Freitas, Analysis of the harmonic distortion impact of photovoltaic generation in Brazilian residential networks, IEEE International Conference on Harmonics and Quality of Power (ICHQP), 2014