GUARDIAN ANGEL 2.0: A TELEMEDICINE SERVICE FOR CHILDREN WITH HOME MECHANICAL VENTILATION
Keywords:Telemedicine, Telemonitoring, Home care, Mechanical ventilation, Quality management, Quality measurement
The use of telemedicine is rapidly increasing in the last few years. Telemonitoring and televisit services are proved to be effective in home care. The telemedicine project “Guardian Angel” was started in 2014 and then updated in 2019 in the pediatric hospital Santobono-Pausilipon in Naples carries out telemonitoring and televisit activities on home-ventilated pediatric patients. Over the years, the project has seen a remarkable improvement in more aspects. The objective of this work is to give an update on the project, show all the improvements and give a quality measurement approach.
(1) M. Formisano, G. Faiella, M. E. Vitullo, A. Dolcini, F. Clemente, quality management in design telemedicine service for children in home mechanical ventilation, 2021 International Conference on e-Health and Bioengineering (EHB), Iasi, Romania, pp. 1–4 (2021).
(2) A. Haleem, M. Javaid, R. P. Singh, R. Suman, Telemedicine for healthcare: capabilities, features, barriers, and applications, Sens. Int., 2, 2, pp. 100117 (2021).
(3) A. Onofri et al., Telemedicine in children with medical complexity on home ventilation during the COVID‐19 pandemic, Pediatr. Pulmonol., 56, 6, pp. 1395–1400 (2021).
(4) G. Tornese et al., Telemedicine in the Time of the COVID-19 Pandemic: Results from the First Survey among Italian Pediatric Diabetes Centers, Healthcare, 9, 7, pp. 815 (2021).
(5) J. Car, G. C.H. Koh, P. S. Foong, C. J. Wang, Video consultations in primary and specialist care during the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond, BMJ, pp. 3945, 2020.
(6) F. Pecoraro, D. Luzi, F. Clemente, Analysis of the Different Approaches Adopted in the Italian Regions to Care for Patients Affected by COVID-19, Int. J. Environ. Res. Public., Health, 18, 3, pp. 848, (2021).
(7) F. Clemente, G. Faiella, G. Rutoli, P. Bifulco, M. Romano, M. Cesarelli, Critical failures in the use of home ventilation medical equipment, Heliyon, 5, 12, pp. 30–34 (2019).
(8) L. Braun, M. Steurer, e D. Henry, Healthcare Utilization of Complex Chronically Ill Children Managed by a Telehealth-Based Team, Front. Pediatr., 9, pp. 689–572 (2021).
(9) F. Ferro et al., Impact of telemedicine on health outcomes in children with medical complexity: an integrative review, Eur. J. Pediatr., 180, 8, pp 2389–2400 (2021).
(10) E. Papaleo, G. Faiella, R. Orofino, F. Borrometi, F. Clemente, TELPASS Project: B2B Teleconsultation for Pediatric Hospices, 2019 E-Health and Bioengineering Conference (EHB), Iasi, Romania, pp. 1–4 (2019).
(11) I. Stanica, F. Moldoveanu, M. Dascalu, I.V. Nemoianu, G. Portelli, Advantages of telemedicine in neurorehabilitation and quality of life improvement, Revue Roumaine des Sciences Techniques Serie Electrotechnique Et Energetique, 66, 3, pp. 189–193 (2021).
(12) P.L. Nedelea, T.O. Popa, E. Manolescu, C. Bouros, G. Grigorasi, D. Andritoi, C. Pascale, A. Andrei, D.C. Cimpoesu, Telemedicine System Applicability Using Drones in Pandemic Emergency Medical Situations, Electronics, 11, 2160, pp. 1–15 (2022).
(13) F. Trucco, M. Pedemonte, F. Racca et al., Tele-monitoring in paediatric and young home-ventilated neuromuscular patients: A multicentre case-control trial, Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare, 25, 7, pp. 414–428 (2019).
(14) N. Ambrosino, P. Pierucci, Using Telemedicine to Monitor the Patient with Chronic Respiratory Failure, Life, 11, 11, pp. 1–13 (2021).
(15) A. Connelly, S.S. Kun, J. Ellashek, S.L. Ward, C.D. Lew, M. Bansal, Incorporating telemedicine into an established pediatric home mechanical ventilation (HMV) program, Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 205, A4354 (2022).
(16) L. Iuppariello, M. Cesarelli, G. Faiella, S. Esposito, M. Nespoli, L. Foggia, F. Clemente, Design of technology-based rehabilitation pathways: the experience of Santobono-Pausilipon Hospital, Acta IMEKO, 7, 4, article 10 (2018).
(17) F. Clemente, M. D’Arco, E. D’Avino, The Use of a Conceptual Model and Related Indicators to Evaluate Quality of Health Care in Intensive Care Units, Qual. Eng., 26, 2, pp. 196–205 (2014).
(18) F. Clemente, M. Papi, L. Pontecorvi, A. Menichetti, Evaluation of indices for the measurement of quality in health systems, Int. J. Metrol. Qual. Eng., 7, 4, pp. 405 (2016).
(19) F. Clemente, G. Stecca, P. Bifulco, M. Cesarelli, G. Faiella, M. Romano, Process modeling of devices management in home care, in 2013 E-Health and Bioengineering Conference (EHB), Iasi, Romania, pp. 1–4 (2013).