AN ULTRA-CAPACITOR INTEGRATED DYNAMIC VOLTAGE RESTORER FOR POWER QUALITY ENHANCEMENT IN A THREE-PHASE DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM USING AN ADAPTIVE NEURO-FUZZY INTERFERENCE SYSTEM CONTROLLER
Keywords:Power Quality (PQ), Dynamic Voltage Restorer (DVR), Voltage sag, Voltage swell, Adaptive neuro-fuzzy (ANFIS) controller, Ultracapacitor, Synchronous reference frame theory
Power quality voltage-related issues sag and swell are recognized as recurrent, severe threats in the distribution systems that lead to an enormous loss in productivity and profitability for both utilities and customers. Dynamic voltage restorer (DVR) is a well-known commercial solution for the issues of sag and swell. There has been an enhanced interest in incorporating Renewable energy resources into the dc input source of custom power devices. The chosen energy storage device should be capable of affording peak power with less duration. Ultracapacitors (UCAPs) are the better choice for energy storage with less cost and are also suited for mitigating sag and swell issues, which need enormous power with minimum duration. The novelty of this paper is its contribution to the design of an integrated renewable UCAP energy storage device as a dc source for DVR (UCAP-DVR). An improved synchronous reference frame (SRF) algorithm with an adaptive neuro-fuzzy interference system (ANFIS) controller is employed to enhance the compensation capability of the UCAP-DVR system against unbalanced sag and swell problems. It also provides active power support to the grid. This integration proposes a suitable bidirectional converter to afford a stiff DC input voltage for DVR.
Many complications in designing and controlling the voltage source inverter (VSI) and the proposed converter are discussed. The proper integration of UCAP-DVR with the distribution grid using the SRF-ANFIS Controller was done in MATLAB simulation. The behavior of the proposed DVR for the problems of both balanced and unbalanced voltage sag and swell was discussed. A comparison has been made with the SRF-PI controller to outline the importance of the proposed controller for UCAP-DVR. Hardware experimental setup of this integrated UCAP-DVR system is developed, and the ability to provide voltage sag and swell compensation in all three phases to the distribution grid is dynamically tested successfully.
(1) P.M. Balasubramaniam, S.U. Prabha, Power quality issues, solutions and standards: a technology review, Journal of Applied Science and Engineering, 18, 4, pp. 371–380 (2015).
(2) L. Guasch, F. Crcoles, J. Pedra, Effects of symmetrical and unsymmetrical voltage sags on induction machines, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, 19, 2, pp. 774–782 (2005).
(3) P. Kumar, M. Kumar, N. Pal, An efficient control approach of voltage and frequency regulation in an autonomous microgrid, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn.– Électrotechn. et Énerg, 66, 1, pp. 33–39 (2021).
(4) C. Benachaiba, B. Ferdi, Power quality improvement using DVR, American Journal of Applied Sciences, 6, 3, pp. 396-400 (2009).
(5) A. Ghosh, G. Ledwich, Compensation of distribution system voltage using DVR, IEEE Trans. on Power Delivery, 17, 4, pp. 1030–1036 (2002).
(6) P.R. Sanchez, E. Acha, J.E.O Calderon, V. Feliu, A.G. Cerrada, A versatile control scheme for a dynamic voltage restorer for power quality improvement, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, 24, 1, pp. 277–284 (2009).
(7) C.S. Lam, M.C.Wong, Y.D.Han, Voltage swell and overvoltage compensation with unidirectional power flow controlled dynamic voltage restorer, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, 23, 4, pp. 2513–2521 (2008).
(8) B. Ali, A.A. Khan, Real-time distribution system analysis and load management algorithm for minimizing harmonics, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn.– Électrotechn. et Énerg, 66, 4, pp. 237–242 (2021)
(9) J. Shi, Y.J. Tang, K. Yang, K. Chen, L. Ren, J.D. Li, S.J. Cheng, SMES based dynamic voltage restorer for voltage fluctuations compensation, IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, 20, pp. 3120–3130 (2010).
(10) A.M. Gee, F.s Robinson, W. Yuan, A superconducting magnetic energy storage-emulator/battery supported dynamic voltage restorer, IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, 32, 1, pp. 55–64 (2017).
(11) B. Wang, G. Venkataramanan, Dynamic voltage restorer utilizing a matrix converter and flywheel energy storage, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 45, pp. 222–231 (2009).
(12) K. Sahay, B. Dwivedi, Design and analysis of super capacitors energy storage system for energy stabilization of distribution network, J. of Electrical Power Quality and Utilisation, 15, 1, pp. 49-56 (2009).
(13) C. Abbey, G. Joos, Supercapacitor energy storage for wind applications, IEEE Transactions on Ind. Appl., 43, 3, pp. 769–776 (2007).
(14) N.S. Rao, A. Selwin, M. Priyadharson, J. Praveen, Simulation of artificial intelligent controller-based DVR for power quality improvement, Procedia Computer Science, 47, pp. 153-167 (2018).
(15) N. Zidane, S.L. Belaid, A new fuzzy logic solution for energy management to hybrid photovoltaic/battery/hydrogen system, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn.–Électrotechn. et Énerg., 67, 1, pp. 21–26, Bucarest (2022).
(16) B. Ferdi, C. Benachaiba, S. Dib, R. Dehini, Adaptive PI control of dynamic voltage restorer using fuzzy logic, Journal of Electrical Engineering, 1, 3, pp. 165–173 (2010).
(17) M. Nabipour, M. Razaz, S.G.H. Seifossadat, S.S. Mortazavi, A novel adaptive fuzzy membership function tuning algorithm for robust control of a PV-based dynamic voltage restorer (DVR), Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence, 53, pp. 155–175 (2018).
(18) A. Teke, K. Bayindir, M. Tumay, Fast sag/swell detection method for fuzzy logic controlled dynamic voltage restorer, IET Generation Transmission and Distribution, 4, pp. 1–12 (2010).
(19) D.N. Katole, M.B. Daigavane, S.P. Gawande, P.M. Daigavane, Analysis, design and implementation of single phase SRF controller for dynamic voltage restorer under distorted supply condition, Energy Procedia., 117, pp. 716–723 (2017).
(20) M. Burlacu, V. Navrapescu, A.I. Chinila, I.D. Deaconu, Optimal reactive power management for microgrids based on photovoltaic inverters using sine-cosine algorithm, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn.–Électrotechn. et Énerg., 67, 2, pp. 117–122, (2022).
(21) N.N. Gandhi, V.V. Bhaskar, Y. Archanasai, T.S. Kumar, Synchronous reference frame theory (SRF) along with PI controller based dynamic voltage restorer, International Journal of Engineering and Science, 5, 5, pp. 59–64 (2015).
(22) R. Bhavani, N.R. Prabha, Simulation of reduced rating dynamic voltage restorer using SRF–ANFIS controller, International Journal of Fuzzy Systems, 20, 6, pp. 1808–1820 (2018).
(23) B. Ferdi, S.A. Dib, B. Berbaoui, R. Dehini, Design and simulation of dynamic voltage restorer based on fuzzy controller optimized by ANFIS, International Journal of Power Electronics and Drive System, 4, 2, pp. 212–222 (2014).