MODELING OF AN AIRCRAFT CONSTANT SPEED DRIVE
Keywords:Constant speed drive, Synchronous generator, Hydraulic unit, Proportional integral derivative controller
The constant speed constant frequency (CSCF) alternative current electrical power system of an aircraft is based on a constant speed drive (CSD). This type of electrical power system is used on most modern aircraft due to its high inherent reliability and long life characteristic. This paper presents the design and simulation of an aircraft constant speed drive using the Simscape package of Simulink, a MATLAB program
(1) T. Simms, Aircraft Electrical Generating Systems: A Review of Recent Developments and Design Trends, Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace Technology, 33, 12, pp. 344–350 (1961).
(2) Aviation Electrician’s Mate 3&2, NAVPERS 10348-B, Bureau of Naval Personnel, United States Navy Training Publications Center, Memphis, Tennessee, 1965, p. 118.
(3) A.K. Hyder, A Century of Aerospace Electrical Power Technology, Journal of Propulsion and Power, 19, 6, pp. 1155–1179 (2003).
(4) O. Grigore-Müler, Aircraft electrical power system. Analysis and design, (in Romanian) Matrix ROM, Bucharest Romania, p. 37 (2021).
(5. Tamara Thiessen, 40% Less Flights Worldwide: This Is What’s Happening with Air Travel, Forbes, Apr.1 (2020).
(6) A. Doyle, Tracking the in-storage fleet and utilization in a time of uncertainty, Cirium, 29.05 (2020).
(7) ODs-June-2020-Airbus-Commercial-Aircraft, www.airbus.com/aircraft/market/orders-deliveries.html#file.
(8) ***Orders & Deliveries, Revenue Recognition Accounting Standard ASC 606 Information, Orders through 06/30/2020, www.boeing.com/commercial/#/orders-deliveries
(9) ***Hamilton Sundstrand Brochure, Hamilton Sundstrand, A United Technologies Company, 080397.indd, 12 Nov. 2008.
(10) C.J. Gantzer, Combined fluid and mechanical drive, US3365981A patent, 30.01 (1968).
(11) N.D. Manring, The Discharge Flow Ripple of an Axial-Piston Swash-Plate Type Hydrostatic Pump, Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control, 122, 2, pp. 263–268 (2000).
(12) G. Changbin, J. Zongxia, H. Shouzhan, Theoretical study of flow ripple for an aviation axial-piston pump with damping holes in the valve plate, Chinese Journal of Aeronautics, 27, 1, pp. 169–181 (2014).
(13) I. Aron, V. Păun, Echipamentul electric al aeronavelor, (in Romanian) Ed. Didactică și Pedagogică, București, 1980, p. 277.
(14) D. Dinu, Mașini hidraulice și pneumatice utilizate în domeniul naval, Ed. Nautica, Constanţa, România, 2019, p. 33.
(15) Hydraulic Axial-Piston Pump with Load-Sensing and Pressure-Limiting Control, MathWorks Documentation, https://www.mathworks.com/help/physmod/hydro/ug/hydraulic-axial-piston-pump-with-load-sensing-and-pressure-limiting-control.html.
(16) K.H. Campbell, G.C. Lemmers Jr., M.J. Franklin, Cylinder block assembly for hydraulic unit, US20160273531A1 patent, 22.09 (2016).
(17) D.R. Hochstetler, T.A. Martin, D.C. Johnson, G.C. Lemmers Jr., Hydraulic unit cylinder block for integrated drive generator, US10539213B2 patent, 21.01 (2020).
(18) D.R. Hochstetler, T.A. Martin, D.C. Johnson, G.C. Lemmers Jr., Variable wobbler plate for integrated drive generator, US10707792B2 patent, 7.07 (2020).
(19) Shop talk: Change in hydraulic fluid, Newsletter, Onboard systems international, 30/09/2017, https://www.onboardsystems.com/news/newsletter/154.
(20) Boeing 737 Type-certificate data sheet, EASA TCDS No.: IM.A.120, 25, European Union Aviation Safety Agency, 2022, p. 7.
(21) CFM56-2 & CFM56-3 series engines Type-certificate data sheet, EASA TCDS No.: E.066, 1, European Union Aviation Safety Agency, p. 6, 2008.