DESIGN OF DUAL BAND MONOPOLE ANTENNA FOR BLUETOOTH AND ULTRA WIDE BAND WITH TRIPLE NOTCH USING ELECTROMAGNETIC BANDGAP STRUCTURE
Keywords:Bluetooth, Ultra wide band, Electromagnetic band gap, Worldwide interoperability for microwave access, Wireless local area network, X-band, Bande interdite électromagnétique
This paper focuses on the applications of dual band antenna for Bluetooth (2.4 - 2.484 GHz) and ultra-wideband (3.1 - 10.6 GHz) with triple notch band. A spanner shape with a rectangular strip monopole and the partial rectangular ground plane is used as the desired dual band antenna. The electromagnetic bandgap EBG structures are placed near the feed line to obtain notch frequencies at 3.5 GHz, 5.5 GHz, and 7.5 GHz. The detailed parametric study of the antenna is presented and discussed. The input impedance and current distributions are used for the effects of EBG and narrow strips. Test results of the fabricated design show a good similarity with simulated outcomes, validating design principles. The designed antenna exhibits nearly omnidirectional radiation patterns, stable gain, appreciable efficiency, linear phase, and constant group delay over the desired bands. Hence the proposed antenna is expected to be suitable for both Bluetooth and UWB applications.
(1) M. Samsuzzaman, M.T. Islam, M.J .Singh, Ceramic material based multiband patch antenna for satellite applications, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn. – Électrotechn. et Énerg., 59, 1, pp. 77–85, (2014).
(2) ***First Report and Order, Revision of Part 15 of the Commission’s Rule Regarding Ultra-Wideband Transmission system FCC 02- 48”, Federal Communications Commission, 2002.
(3) J. Liu, S. Zhong, K. P. Esselle, A printed elliptical monopole antenna with modified feeding structure for bandwidth enhancement, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 59, 2, pp. 667-670 (2011).
(4) J. Liang, L. Guo, C.C. Chiau, X. Chen, C.G. Parini, Study of CPW-fed circular disc monopole antenna, IEE Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, 152, 6, pp. 520-526 (2005).
(5) X.J. Liao, H.C. Yang, N. Han, Y. Li, Aperture UWB antenna with triple band-notched characteristics, Electronics Letters, 47, 2 (2011).
(6) D. Abed, S. Redadaa, H. Kimouche, Printed ultra-wideband stepped circular slot antenna with different tuning stubs, Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, 27, 7, pp. 846–855 (2013).
(7) S.K. Mishra, R. Gupta, A. Vaidya, J. Mukherjee, Printed fork-shaped dual-band monopole antenna for Bluetooth and UWB applications with 5.5 GHz WLAN band-notched characteristics, Progress in Electromagnetics Research C, 22, pp. 195-210 (2011).
(8) T. Mandal, S. Das, Design of a microstrip fed printed monopole antenna for Bluetooth and UWB applications with WLAN notch band characteristics, International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering. 25, 1, pp. 66 -71 (2015).
(9) M. Chakraborty, S. Pal, N. Chattoraj, Quad notch UWB antenna using a combination of slots and split-ring resonator, Int. Journal of RF and Computer Added Engineering, 30, 3, pp. 1-10 (2019).
(10) A. Sohail et. al. Dual notch band uwb antenna with improved notch characteristics, Microwave and Optical Technology Letter, 60, 4, pp. 925-930 (2018).
(11) D. Sarkar, K.V. Srivastava, K. Saurav, A compact microstrip-fed triple band-notched UWB monopole antenna, IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, 13, pp. 396-399 (2014).
(12) S. Peddakrishna, T. Khan, Design of UWB monopole antenna with dual notched band characteristics by using p-shaped slot and EBG resonator”, AEU Int. Journal Electron Communication, 96, pp. 107-112, 2018.
(13) H. Liu, Z. Xie, Design of UWB monopole antenna with dual notched bands using one modified electromagnetic band gap structure, The Scientific World Journal, 2013, 917965 (2013).
(14) H.H. Xie, Y.C. Jiao, L.N. Chen, F.S. Zhang, Omnidirectional horizontally polarized antenna with EBG cavity for gain enhancement, Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, 15, pp. 79–87 (2010).
(15) A. Ghosh et al., Gain enhancement of triple-band patch antenna using triple-band artificial magnetic conducto”, IET Microwave Antennas Propagation, 12, 8, pp. 1400 –1406 (2018).
(16) A. Pirhadi, M. Hakkak. F. Keshmiri, Using electromagnetic band gap superstrate to enhance the bandwidth of probe-fed microstrip antenna, Progress in Electromagnetics Research, 61, pp. 215–230 (2006).
(17) R. Makinen, V. Pynttari, J. Heikkinen, M. Kivikoski, Improvement of antenna isolation in hand-held devices using miniaturized electromagnetic band gap structures, Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, 49, 10, pp. 2508–2513 (2007).
(18) M. Yazdi, N. Komjani, Design of a band-notched UWB monopole antenna by means of an EBG structure, IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propagation Letters, 10, pp. 170-173 (2011).
(19) L. Peng, C.L. Ruan, UWB band-notched monopole antenna design using electromagnetic-bandgap structures, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Technique, 59, 4, pp. 1074-1081 (2011).
(20) T. Mandal, S. Das, Design of a CPW-fed UWB printed antenna with dual notch band using mushroom structure, Int. J. Microw Wireless Tech., 9, 2, pp. 327–334 (2017).
(21) N. Jaglan, B.K. Kanaujia, S.D. Gupta, S. Srivastava, Design and development of an efficient EBG structures based band notched UWB circular monopole antenna, Wireless Personal Communications, 96, 4, pp. 5757–5783 (2017).
(22) N. Jaglan, B.K. Kanaujia, S.D. Gupta, S. Srivastava, Band notched UWB circular monopole antenna with inductance enhanced modified mushroom EBG structures, Wireless Personal Communications, 24, 2, pp. 383–393 (2018).