EXPERIMENTAL ANALYSIS OF MULTILEVEL INVERTER FED SIX-PHASE INDUCTION MOTOR FOR HIGH POWER APPLICATIONS
Keywords:Multilevel inverter, Pulse width modulation, Harmonic distortion, Six-phase induction motor
This paper presents an implementation of a five-level cascaded H-bridge multilevel inverter (CHBMLI) fed six-phase induction motor (SPIM) for high-performance drive applications. The three-phase induction motor is modified to operate as SPIM to increase the reliability and enhance the performance of the motor. To maintain the speed of SPIM at a predefined value, fine-tuning of proportional-integral-derivative (PID) controlling parameters accomplished with closed-loop volts/Hertz control is proposed. Added to that, a phase disposition (PD) Pulse width modulation (PWM) technique and a low pass filter (LPF) are designed to get rid of the undesirable harmonics present in the output waveform of current and voltage. Matlab/Simulink platform is used to model the proposed topology. Simulation and experimental results show that the proposed PWM technique-based CHBMLI mitigates the current and voltage harmonics to 1.7 % and 7.20 %, respectively, and enhances the overall performance of the SPIM, which can be further employed for high-power industrial applications.
(1) E. Levi, Multiphase electric machines for variable-speed applications, IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., 55, 5, pp. 1893-1909 (2008).
(2) K.A. Chinmaya, G.K. Singh, Experimental analysis of various space vector pulse width modulation (SVPWM) techniques for dual three-phase induction motor drive, International Transactions on Electrical Energy Systems, 29, 1, e2678 (2019).
(3) E. Levi, R. Bojoi, F. Profumo, H.A. Toliyat, S. Williamson, Multi-phase induction motor drives–a technology status review, IET Electric Power Applications, 1, 4, pp. 489-516 (2007).
(4) D. Casadei, G. Serra, A. Tani, L. Zarri, General inverter modulation strategy for multi-phase motor drive, IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics, pp. 1131-1137, 2007 June 4.
(5) J. Rodriguez, J.S. Lai, F.Z. Peng, Multilevel inverters: a survey of topologies, controls, and applications, IEEE Transactions on industrial electronics, 49, 4, pp. 724-38 (2002).
(6) M. Malinowski, K. Gopakumar, J. Rodriguez, M.A. Perez, A survey on cascaded multilevel inverters, IEEE Transactions on industrial electronics, 57, 7, pp. 2197-2206 (2009).
(7) V. Rathore, K.B. Yadav, Comparative efficiency analysis of five-level dual three-phase multilevel inverter fed six-phase induction motor drive, International Journal of Numerical Modelling: Electronic Networks, Devices, and Fields, e2981, (2021).
(8) O. Dordevic, M. Jones, E. Levi, A comparison of carrier-based and space vector PWM techniques for three-level five-phase voltage source inverters, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, 9, 2, pp. 609-619 (2012).
(9) J. Tandekar, A. Ojha, S. Jain, Five-level cascaded H-bridge MLC-based shunt active power filter for active harmonics mitigation in distributed network, Journal of Circuits, Systems, and Computers, 28, 2, pp. 1950035 (2019).
(10) F. Chabni, R. Taleb, M. Helaimi, Output voltage waveform improvement of modified cascaded H-bridge multilevel inverter using selective harmonic elimination technique based on hybrid genetic algorithm. Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn. – Électrotechn. Et Énerg., 62, 4, pp. 405-410 (2017).
(11) K. Iffouzar, M.F. Benkhoris, K. Ghedamsi, D. Aouzellag, Behavior analysis of a dual stars induction motor supplied by PWM multilevel inverters, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn. – Électrotechn. Et Énerg., 61, 2, pp. 137-141 (2016).
(12) V. Rathore, K.B. Yadav, Analytical model-based performance characteristics analysis of six-phase induction motor, Proceedings of the International Conference on Advances in Electronics, Electrical & Computational Intelligence (ICAEEC) (2020).
(13) A. Datta, G. Poddar, Improved low-frequency operation of hybrid inverter for medium voltage induction motor drive under V/f and vector control mode of operation. IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, 8, 2, pp. 1248-1257 (2019).
(14) A. Chitra, J. Vanishree, S. Sreejith, S. Jose, A.J. Pulickan, Performance comparison of multilevel inverter topologies for closed loop v/f controlled induction motor drive, Energy Procedia. 117, pp. 958-965 (2017).