PALMPRINT CLASSIFICATION USING FIXED SIFT DESCRIPTORS NUMBER
Keywords:Scale-invariant feature transform keypoints, Keypoint matching, Palmprint classification
In this article we use, for palmprint feature extraction, descriptors generated with SIFT (Scale-invariant feature transform) algorithm. The main idea was to generate for each image in the dataset, the same number of keypoints. We deduced an algorithm that, for a given image, computes a fixed number of SIFT keypoints. The matching procedure is based on the nearest neighbor ratio equation. To test the efficacy of our method, we performed experiments on five well-known palmprint databases. The experimental results indicate that this type of approach yields very good classification results. Our results are better than those obtained in some recent papers.
(1) Z. Sun, T. Tan, Y. Wang, S.Z. Li, Ordinal palmprint representation for personal identification, Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR'05), 1, pp. 279-284 (2005).
(2) Y. Hao, Z. Sun, T. Tan, C. Ren, Multispectral palm image fusion for accurate contact-free palmprint recognition, 15th IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, San Diego, California, USA pp. 281-284 (October 2008).
(3) Y. Hao, Z. Sun, T. Tan, Comparative studies on multispectral palm image fusion for biometrics, Asian Conference on Computer Vision, Tokyo, Japan, pp. 12-21 (November 2007).
(4) Grupo de Procesado Digital de Señales (GPDS) palmprint image database: http://www.gpds.ulpgc.es.
(5) Indian Institute of Technology Delhi Palmprint Database (version 1): https://www4.comp.polyu.edu.hk/~csajaykr/IITD/Database_Palm.htm.
(6) The Hong Kong Polytechnic University Palmprint Database (version 2.0): http://www.comp.polyu.edu.hk/~biometrics.
(7) L. Fei, B. Zhang, W. Zhang, S. Teng, Local apparent and latent direction extraction for palmprint recognition, Information Sciences, 473, pp. 59-72 (2019).
(8) L. Fei, B. Zhang, Y. Xu, D. Huang, W. Jia, J. Wen, Local discriminant direction binary pattern for palmprint representation and recognition, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, 30, 2, pp. 468 481 (2019).
(9) A. El Idrissi, Y. Ruichek, Palmprint recognition using state-of-the-art local texture descriptors: a comparative study, IET Biometrics, 9, 4, pp. 143-153(2020).
(10) L. Wu, Y. Xu, Z. Cui, Y. Zuo, S. Zhao, L. Fei, Triple-Type Feature Extraction for Palmprint Recognition, Sensors, 21, 14, pp. 1-15 (2021).
(11) S. Zhao, B. Zhang, Deep discriminative representation for generic palmprint recognition, Pattern Recognition, 98, pp. 1-11 (2020).
(12) S. Zhao, B. Zhang, Learning salient and discriminative descriptor for palmprint feature extraction and identification, IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, 31, 12, pp. 5219-5230 (2020).
(13) S. Zhao, B. Zhang, Learning complete and discriminative direction pattern for robust palmprint recognition, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, 30, pp. 1001-1014 (2020).
(14) S. Zhao, B. Zhang, Joint constrained least-square regression with deep convolutional feature for palmprint recognition, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems, 52, 1, pp. 511-522 (2022).
(15) L. Fei, G. Lu, W. Jia, S. Teng, D. Zhang, Feature extraction methods for palmprint recognition: A survey and evaluation, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems, 49, 2, pp. 346-363 (2018).
(16) D. Zhong, X. Du, K. Zhong, Decade progress of palmprint recognition: A brief survey, Neurocomputing, 328, pp. 16-28 (2019).
(17) A.S. Ungureanu, S. Salahuddin, P. Corcoran, Toward unconstrained palmprint recognition on consumer devices: A literature review, IEEE Access, 8, pp. 86130-86148 (2020).
(18) V. Roşca, A. Ignat, Quality of pre-trained deep-learning models for palmprint recognition, 22nd International Symposium on Symbolic and Numeric Algorithms for Scientific Computing (SYNASC), pp. 202-209 (September 2020).
(19) X. Wu, Q. Zhao, W. Bu, A SIFT-based contactless palmprint verification approach using iterative RANSAC and local palmprint descriptors, Pattern Recognition, 47, 10, pp. 3314 3326 (2014).
(20) N. Charfi, H. Trichili, A.M. Alimi, B. Solaiman, Bimodal biometric system for hand shape and palmprint recognition based on SIFT sparse representation, Multimedia Tools and Applications, 76, 20, pp. 20457-20482 (2017).
(21) A.S. ELSayed, H.M. Ebeid, M.I. Roushdy, Z.T. Fayed, Masked SIFT with align-based refinement for contactless palmprint recognition, IET Biometrics, 8, 2, pp. 150 158 (2019).
(22) J. Almaghtuf, F. Khelifi, Self-geometric relationship filter for efficient SIFT key-points matching in full and partial palmprint recognition, IET Biometrics, 7, 4, pp. 296-304 (2018).
(23) P. Poonia, P.K. Ajmera, A. Bhalerao, Palm-print recognition based on scale-invariant features, 16th India Council International Conference (INDICON), Rajkot, India, pp. 1-4 (December 2019).
(24) D.G. Lowe, Object recognition from local scale-invariant features, Proceedings of the 7-th IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision, Kerkyra, Greece, 2, pp. 1150-1157 (September 1999).
(25) D.G. Lowe, Distinctive image features from scale-invariant keypoints, International Journal of Computer Vision, 60, 2, pp. 91-110 (2004).
(26) I. Păvăloi, A. Ignat, Iris image classification using SIFT features, Procedia Computer Science, 159, pp. 241 250 (2019).
(27) A. Ignat, I. Păvăloi, Occluded iris recognition using SURF features, VISIGRAPP (5: VISAPP), pp. 508-515 (2021).
(28) OpenCV Library - https://opencv.org/
(29) A. Păsărică, R. G. Bozomitu, D. Tărniceriu, G. Andruşeac, H. Costin, C. Rotariu, Analysis of eye image segmentation used in eye tracking applications, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn.– Électrotechn. et Énerg., 62, 2, pp. 215–222 (2017).