A METAMATERIAL INSPIRED SPLIT RING RESONATOR ACCOMPLISHED MULTIBAND ANTENNA FOR 5G AND OTHER WIRELESS APPLICATIONS
Keywords:Multiband antenna, Metamaterial inspired antenna, Defected ground structure (DGS), SRR, Gain enhancement
A multiband antenna is proposed in this paper, accomplished with a split ring resonator (SRR) in the ground plane for portable and wireless applications. The rectangular radiator is unified with a semi-circular stub improving the impedance matching in the antenna. Further, the radiator creates an optimized rectangular slot to obtain the multiband operation. The SRR in the ground plane demonstrates the metamaterial (MTM) characteristics that significantly improve the 10 dB impedance bandwidths (IBW) and enhance realized gain in the multi-band antenna. The proposed antenna is procuring the five 10 dB IBW, which can be prominent for RADAR (2.96 GHz - 3.06 GHz), 5G (3.92 GHz - 4.32 GHz and 4.64 GHz - 5.04 GHz), WLAN (5.32 GHz - 5.64 GHz) and ISM band (5.7 GHz - 6 GHz) applications. The gain enhancement is obtained in all operating bands of the antenna, and a maximum 5.24 dB gain is achieved at a 4.14 GHz frequency.
(1) A. Angeliki, M. Haardt. Smart antenna technologies for future wireless systems: trends and challenges, IEEE Communications Magazine, 42, 9, p. 90 (2004).
(2) A. Ghosh et al., Gain enhancement of triple-band patch antenna by using triple-band artificial magnetic conductor, IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, 12, 8, p. 1400 (2018).
(3) Z., Binzhen, P. Yao, J. Duan, Gain-enhanced antenna backed with the fractal artificial magnetic conductor, IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, 12, 9, p. 1457 (2018).
(4) K.N. Paracha et al., A dual-band stub‐loaded AMC design for the gain enhancement of a planar monopole antenna, Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, 60, 9, pp. 2108–2112 (2018).
(5) S. Dhawan, A. Thakur, V.M. Srivastava, Miniaturization and gain enhancement of microstrip patch antenna using defective ground with EBG, Journal of Communication, 13, 12, p. 730 (2018).
(6) G.K. Das, R. Dutta, D. Mitra, M. Mitra, Gain enhancement of planar dipole antenna using grounded metamaterial, Progress in Electromagnetics Research Letters, 87, pp. 123–130 (2019).
(7) J.H. Kim, A. Chi-Hyung, B. Jin-Kyu, Antenna gain enhancement using a holey superstrate, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 64, 3, pp. 1164–1167 (2016).
(8) M. Bouzouad et al., Gain enhancement with near-zero-index metamaterial superstrate, Applied Physics A, 121, 3, pp. 1075–1080 (2015).
(9) R. Sourav, U. Chakraborty, Gain enhancement of a dual-band WLAN microstrip antenna loaded with diagonal pattern metamaterials, IET Communications, 12, 12, pp. 1448–1453 (2018).
(10) R. Neha, N. Chattoraj, R. Mark, Metamaterial cell inspired high gain multiband antenna for wireless applications, AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, 109, pp. 23–30 (2019).
(11) J.M. Joo et al., Millimeter‐wave microstrip patch antenna using vertically coupled split ring metaplate for gain enhancement, Microwave, and Optical Technology Letters, 61, 10, pp. 2360–2365 (2019).
(12) H. Zain, M.U. Khan, H.M. Cheema, A dual-band zero-index metamaterial superstrate for concurrent antenna gain enhancement at 2.4 and 3.5 GHz, IETE Journal of Research, 1, pp. 2898–2908 (2020).
(13) D. Priyanka, K. Mandal, Modelling of ultra‐wide stop‐band frequency‐selective surface to enhance the gain of a UWB antenna, IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, 13, 3, pp. 269–277 (2019).
(14) M.A. Belen, Performance enhancement of a microstrip patch antenna using dual‐layer frequency‐selective surface for ISM band applications, Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, 60, 11, pp. 2730–2734 (2018).
(15) K. Surajit, A. Chatterjee, S.K. Jana, S.K. Parui, A compact umbrella-shaped UWB antenna with gain augmentation using frequency selective surface, Radio engineering, 27, 2, pp. 448–454 (2018).
(16) P.G. Shankar, K. Mandal, A. Lalbakhsh, Single-layer ultra-wide stop-band frequency selective surface using interconnected square rings, AEU-Intern. J. of Electronics and Communications, 132, 1, 2021.
(17) A. Bhattacharya, B. Dasgupta, R. Jyoti, Design and analysis of ultrathin X-band frequency selective surface structure for gain enhancement of hybrid antenna, International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, 2020.
(18) J. Pankaj, A. Kumar, A. De, R.K. Jain, CPW-fed metamaterial inspired compact multiband antenna for LTE/5G/WLAN communication, Frequenz, 76, 7-8, pp. 401–407 (2022).