NEW MODELING AND ENHANCED CONTROL STRATEGY FOR GRID-CONNECTED FOUR-LEG INVERTER WITHOUT PHASE-LOCKED LOOP AND PARK’S TRANSFORMATION
Keywords:Grid-connected four-leg inverter (GC-FLVSI), Enhanced voltage-oriented control (EVOC), Power control theory (DPC), Super twisting sliding mode control (STSMC), Static and dynamic performances
This paper proposes an enhanced voltage-oriented control strategy (EVOC) based on super twisting sliding mode control (STSMC) for a grid-connected four-leg source voltage inverter (GC-FLVSI) in the synchronous rotating frame (dq0–frame) without using a phase-locked loop (PLL) and Park's transformation. The proposed strategy is used not only to control the dq0–axes FLVSI inject currents but also to derive the mathematical model of the GC-FLVSI in the dq0–frame based on the direct instantaneous power control theory (DPC) and to eliminate the impact of PLL and Park's transformation. The principle of the proposed EVOC strategy is analyzed in detail. The STSMC is used for accurate dq0–axes FLVSI inject current control, and it can result in sinusoidal currents with high quality, high robustness against parametric variations, and low chattering with easy implementation. Finally, the superiority of the proposed EVOC-STSMC strategy in terms of complexity, response, steady-state errors, robustness, total harmonic distortion (THDs) mitigation, neutral current reduction, and robustness against parameter variations is verified through comparative analysis with the EVOC strategy based on the PI controller (EVOC-PIC).
(1) J.G. Carrasco, C.A. Silva, R. Peña, R. Cárdenas, Control of a four-leg converter for the operation of a DFIG feeding stand-alone unbalanced loads, IEEE Tran. on Ind. Electr, 62, 7, pp. 4630–4640 (2014).
(2) M. R. Miveh, M. F. Rahmat, A. A. Ghadimi, M. W. Mustafa, Control techniques for three-phase four-leg voltage source inverters in autonomous microgrids: A review, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 54, pp. 1592–1610 (2016).
(3) R. Mandrioli, A. Viatkin, M. Hammami, M. Ricco, G. Grandi, A comprehensive ac current ripple analysis and performance enhancement via discontinuous PWM in three-phase four-leg grid-connected inverters, Energies, 13, 17, pp. 4352 (2020).
(4) A. Chebabhi, M.K. Fellah, M.F. Benkhoris, A. Kessal, Artificial neural network based synchronous reference frame theory in the dq0 axes for reference harmonic currents generation of a four leg shunt active power filter, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn. – Électrotechn. Et Énerg., 61, 4, pp. 408–4013 (2016).
(5) J.C. Olives-Camps, J.M. Mauricio, M. Barragán-Villarejo, F.J. Matas-Díaz, Voltage control of four-leg VSC for power system applications with nonlinear and unbalanced loads, IEEE Trans. on Energy Conversion., 35, 2, pp. 640–650 (2019).
(6) A. Djerioui, A. Houari, A. Saim, M. Aït-Ahmed, S. Pierfederici, M.F. Benkhoris, M. Ghanes, Flatness-based grey wolf control for load voltage unbalance mitigation in four-leg voltage source inverters, IEEE Trans. on Ind. Appl., 56, 2, pp. 1869–1881 (2019).
(7) Y., Song, F. Blaabjerg, Analysis of middle-frequency resonance in DFIG system considering phase-locked loop, IEEE Trans. on Power Electr., 33, 1, pp. 343–356 (2017).
(8) Z. Ali, N. Christofides, E. Kyriakides, Y. Yang, F. Blaabjerg, Three-phase phase-locked loop synchronization algorithms for grid-connected renewable energy systems: A review, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 90, pp. 434–452 (2018).
(9) R. Bimarta, K.H. Kim, A robust frequency-adaptive current control of a grid-connected inverter based on LMI-LQR under polytopic uncertainties, IEEE Power Energy Society Section, 8, pp. 28756–28773 (2020).
(10) X. Zheng, L. Xiao, Z. Wang, Y. Lei, C. Wang, Control strategy without phase-locked loop based on coordinate transformation for three-phase AC/DC converter. IET Power Electronics, 8, 9, pp. 1701–1709 (2015).
(11) Y. Gui, X. Wang, F. Blaabjerg, Vector current control derived from direct power control for grid-connected inverters, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 34, 9, pp. 9224–9235 (2018).
(12) P. Cheng, C. Wu, F. Ning, J. He, Voltage modulated DPC strategy of DFIG using extended power theory under unbalanced grid voltage conditions, Energies, 13, 22, pp. 6077 (2020).
(13) M. Alqatamin, J. Latham, Z.T. Smith, B.M. Grainger, M.L. McIntyre, current control of a three-phase, grid-connected inverter in the presence of unknown grid parameters without a phase-locked loop, IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, 9, 3, pp. 3127–3136 (2020).
(14) K.R.S.Vadivu, R. Ramaprabha, Improved steady state and large signal transient response of three-level ac-dc converter using
hysteresis modulation based SMC under DCM, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn. – Électrotechn. Et Énerg., 66, 2, pp. 85–90 (2021).
(15) S. Biricik, H. Komurcugil, H. Ahmed, Super twisting sliding-mode control of DVR with frequency-adaptive Brockett oscillator. IEEE Trans. on Ind. Electr., 68,11, 10730–10739 (2020).
(16) B. Kelkoul, A. Boumediene, Stability analysis and study between classical sliding mode control (SMC) and super twisting algorithm (STA) for doubly fed induction generator (DFIG) under wind turbine, Energy, 214, pp. 118871 (2021).
(17) S. Ozdemir, N. Altin, I. Sefa, Z. Zhang, H. Komurcugil, Super twisting sliding mode control of three-phase grid-tied neutral point clamped inverters. ISA transactions, 125, pp. 547–559 (2022).
(18) A. Chebabhi, M.K. Fellah, M.F. Benkhoris, 3D space vector modulation control of four-leg shunt active power filter using pq0 theory, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn. – Électrotechn. Et Énerg., 60, 2, pp. 371–376 (2015).