IMPROVED ADAPTIVE NONLINEAR CONTROL FOR VARIABLE SPEED WIND-TURBINE FED BY DIRECT MATRIX CONVERTER
Keywords:Input output linearizing and decoupling control (I/OLDC), Doubly fed induction generator (DFIG), Matrix converter (MC), Wind cnergy conversion system (WECS), Model reference adaptive control (MRAC)
This paper proposes a robust decoupling power algorithm based on a doubly fed induction generator (DFIG) for variable speed wind-turbine (WT). The DFIG rotor circuit is fed by the direct matrix converter (DMC), which presents several features such as no need to the dc-bus voltage, sinusoidal supply, rotor side waveforms, bidirectional power flow, and adjustable input power factor. The 18 bidirectional switches are controlled using the Venturini modulation technique. On the other hand, the DFIG stator circuit is connected directly to the grid. The nonlinear control strategy based on feedback linearization is applied to control the stator power (Ps and Qs) independently using the rotor quadrature and direct currents (irq and ird), which present the images of the previous stator powers. Some limitations appear in the power algorithm using the conventional pi controller, especially in power tracking, error, and quality. In this context, the model reference adaptive controller (MRAC) presents an alternative solution, a robust and efficient controller proposed instead of the pi controllers to control stator powers. Finally, the simulation results confirm that the proposed algorithm could work under hard conditions and demonstrate that the wind energy conversion system (WECS) provides enhanced dynamic responses in transient and steady states and good power quality delivered to the grid.
(1) S. Tamalouzt, Performances of direct reactive power control technique applied to three level-inverter under random behaviour of wind speed, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn.– Électrotechn. et Énerg, 64, 1, pp. 33–38 (2019).
(2) Z. Dekali, L. Baghli, A. Boumediene, Experimental implementation of the maximum power point tracking algorithm for a connected wind turbine emulator, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn.– Électrotechn. et Énerg, 66, 2, pp. 111–117 (2021).
(3) H. Nian, Y. Song, Direct power control of doubly fed induction generator under distorted grid voltage, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 29, 2, p. 894–905 (2014).
(4) H. Nian, P. Cheng, Z.Q. Zhu, Coordinated direct power control of DFIG system without locked loop under unbalanced grid voltage conditions, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 31, 4, pp. 2905–2918 (2016).
(5) R. Cárdenas, R. Peña, S. Alepuz, G. Asher, Overview of Control Systems for the Operation of DFIGs in Wind Energy Applications, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 60, 7, pp. 2776–2798 (2013).
(6) J.W. Kolar, T. Friedli, J. Rodriguez, P.W. Wheeler, Review of three-phase PWM ac-ac converter topologies, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 58, 11, pp. 4988–5006 (2011).
(7) N. Han, B. Zhou, Y. Jiang, X. Qin, J. Lei, Y. Yang, A novel source current control strategy and its stability analysis for indirect matrix converter, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 32, 10, pp. 8181–8192 (2016).
(8) T. Friedli, J.W. Kolar, J. Rodriguez, P.W. Wheeler, Comparative evaluation of three-phase ac-ac matrix converter and voltage dc-link back-to-back converter systems, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 59, 12, pp. 4487–4510 (2012).
(9) V. Padhee, A.K. Sahoo, N. Mohan, Modulation techniques for enhanced reduction in common mode voltage and output voltage distortion in indirect matrix converter, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 32, 11, pp. 8655–8670 (2016).
(10) S.K.M. Ahmed, H. Abu-Rub, A. Iqbal, Multiphase matrix converter topologies and control, Power Electronics for renewable Energy Systems, Transportation and Industrial Applications, John Wiley & Sons (2014).
(11) H.F. Ahmed, H. Cha, A. Khan, J. Kim, J. Cho, A single-phase buck-boost matrix converter with only six switches and without commutation problem, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 32, 2, pp. 1232–1244 (2017).
(12) P. Cheng, H. Nian, C. Wu, Z.Q. Zhu, Direct stator current vector control strategy of DFIG without phase-locked loop during network unbalance, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 32, 1, pp. 284–297 (2017).
(13) P. Cheng, H. Nian, C. Wu, Z.Q. Zhu, A combined vector and direct power control for DFIG-based wind turbines, IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, 5, 3, pp. 767–775 (2014).
(14) P. Xion, D. Sun, Backstepping-based DPC strategy of a wind turbine-driven DFIG under normal and harmonic grid voltage, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 31, 6, pp. 4216-4225 (2016).
(15) B. Bossoufi, M. Karim, A. Lagrioui, M. Taoussi, A. Derouich, Observer backstepping control of DFIG-Generator for wind turbines variable-speed: FPGA-based implementation, Renewable Energy, 81, 3, pp. 903–917 (2015).
(16) Sa. Ebrahimkhani, Robust fractional order sliding mode control of doubly-fed induction generator (DFIG)-based wind turbines, ISA Transactions, 63, 2, pp. 343–354 (2016).
(17) B. Beltran, M. El Hachemi Benbouzid, T. Ahmed-Ali, Second-order sliding mode control of a doubly fed induction generator driven wind turbine, IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, 27, 2, pp. 261–269 (2012).
(18) J. Hu, Ji. Zhu, D.G. Dorrell, Model-predictive direct power control of doubly-fed induction generators under unbalanced grid voltage conditions in wind energy applications, IET Renewable Power Generation, 8, 6, pp. 687–95 (2014).
(19) L. Zhang, X. Cai, J. Guo, Simplified input-output linearizing and decoupling control of wind turbine driven doubly-fed induction generator, IEEE 6th International Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference, pp. 632–635 (2009).
(20) G. Chen, L. Zhang, X. Cai, W. Zhang, C. Yin, Non-linear control of the doubly fed induction generator by input-output linearizing strategy, Springer Electronics and Signal Processing, pp. 601–608 (2011).
(21) F. Amrane, A. Chaiba, A novel direct power control for grid-connected doubly fed induction generator based on hybrid artificial intelligent control with space vector modulation, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn.– Électrotechn. et Énerg, 61, 3, pp. 263–268 (2016).
(22) F. Amrane, A. Chaiba, S. Mekhilef, High performan-ces of grid-connected DFIG based on direct power control with fixed switching frequency via MPPT strategy using MRAC and neuro-fuzzy control, Journal of Power Technologies, 96, 1, pp. 27–39 (2016).
(23) A. Ammar, A. Benakcha, A. Bourek, Adaptive MRAC-based direct torque control with SVM for sensorless induction motor using adaptive observer, Springer, The international Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, pp. 1–11 (2016).
(24) F. Amrane, A. Chaiba, A, Chebabhi, Improvement performances of doubly fed induction generator via MPPT strategy using model reference adaptive control based on direct power control with space vector modulation, Journal of Electrical Engineering, 16, 3, pp. 218–225 (2016).
(25) T. Peng, H, Dan, J. Yang, H. Deng, Q. Zhu, C. Wang, W. Gui, J.M. Guerrero, Open-switch fault diagnosis and fault tolerant for matrix converter with finite control set-model predictive control, IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, 63, 9, pp. 5953–5963 (2016).
(26) B. Metidji, N. Taib, L. Baghli, T. Rekioua, S. Bacha, Phase current reconstruction using a single current sensor of three-phase ac motors fed by SVM-controlled direct matrix converter, IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, 60, 12, pp. 5497–5505 (2013).
(27) B. Metidji, N. Taib, L. Baghli, T.k Rekioua, S. Bacha, Novel single current sensor topology for Venturini controlled direct matrix converters, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 28, 7, pp. 3509–3516 (2013).
(28) F. Amrane, A. Chaiba, Improved indirect power control (IDPC) of wind energy conversion systems (WECS), Bentham Science Publishers Pte. Ltd, Singapore, pp. 1–149 (2019).
(29) F. Amrane, B. Francois, A. Chaiba, Experimental investigation of efficient and simple wind-turbine based on DFIG-direct power control using LCL-filter for stand-alone mode, ISA Transactions, 125, pp .631–664 (2022).
(30) H.K. Khalil, Nonlinear systems, Macmillan, New York (1992).
(31) S. Róhowicz, A. Zawadzki, Input-output transformation using the feedback of nonlinear electrical circuits: algorithms and linearization examples, Mathematical Problems in Engineering, pp. 1–13 (2018).