DOUBLE LAYER FREQUENCY SELECTIVE SURFACE WITH BROAD BANDWIDTH, HIGH SELECTIVITY AND GOOD ANGULAR STABILITY
Keywords:Frequency Selective Surface (FSS), Low insertion loss, Selectivity, Angular stability, Worldwide Interoperability for Microwave Access (WiMAX), C-band, Wireless local area network (WLAN)
A frequency selective surface (FSS) with low insertion loss, high selectivity, broad bandwidth, and good angular stability is proposed here. It is a patch-type FSS with two dielectric layers separated by an air gap of 1.6 mm. The bottom dielectric layer with an array of metallic patches is notified as the first FSS (FSS 1), and the top dielectric layer with an array of metallic patches is notified as the second FSS (FSS 2). In Model 1, the top surface of FSS 1 is an array of square ring-shaped metallic patches, and the bottom surface of FSS 2 is an array of square-shaped metallic patches. In Model 2, the top surface of FSS 1 is an array of square ring-shaped metallic patches, and the bottom surface of FSS 2 is an array of circular-shaped metallic patches, which are placed in a dual-layer configuration with a separation of 1.6 mm. Two reject bands are achieved as a result. Between two notch bands, a pass-band is achieved from 1.98 GHz to 5.29 GHz with good selectivity and angular stability. A notch is found at around the 3.6/4.6 GHz range, the operating band of Wi-MAX (3.3 - 3.6 GHz) and C band (3.7 GHz - 4.2 GHz). Another notch at 5.2/5.9 GHz band is achieved. The proposed FSS designs are helpful for WLAN applications.
(1) T.K. Wu, Assini frequency Selective surface development, J. Electromagnet waves Applications, 8, 12, pp. 1547-1561, Dec.1994.
(2) B.A. Munk, Frequency selective surfaces: theory and design, John Wiley & Sons, Chapter 5, pp. 28-58 (2005).
(3) R. Cahill, J.C.Vardaxoglou, M. Jayawardene, Two-layer mm-wave FSS of linear slot elements with low insertion loss, IEEE Proc.-iMicrowave. Antennas Propagation, 148, 6, pp. 2179-1074, (2001).
(4) B. Sanz-Izquierdo, E.A. Parker, J.C. Bachelor, Switchable frequency selective slot arrays, IEEE transactions on antennas and propagation, 597, pp. 2728-2731 (2011).
(5) T.W. Li, D. Li, E.P. Li, A novel fss structure with high selectivity and excellent angular stability for 5G communication radome, 2017 10th Global Symposium on Millimeter-Waves, pp. 50-52 (2017).
(6) D.S. Wang, P. Zhao, Design and analysis of a high-selectivity frequency-selective surface at 60 GHz”, IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, 64, 6, pp. 1694-1703 (2016).
(7) Z. Yu, X. Yang, J. Zhu, C. Wang, Y. Shi, W. Tang, Dual-band three-dimensional FSS with high selectivity and small band ratio, Electronics Letters, 55, 14, pp. 798–799 (2019).
(8) D.S. Wang, B.J. Chen, C.H. Chan, High-selectivity band pass frequency-selective surface in terahertz band”, IEEE Transactions on Terahertz Science and Technology, 6, 2, pp. 284-291 (20160.
(9) K. Tao, B. Li, Y. Tang, M. Zhan, Y. Bo, Analysis and implementation of 3D bandpass frequency selective structure with high-frequency selectivity, Electronics Letters, 53, 5, pp. 324–326 (2017).
(10) H.L. Li, B. Wu, Y.T. Zhao, T. Su, design of flexible bandpass frequency selective surface with high out-of-band suppression”, 2018 IEEE Asia-Pacific Conference on Antennas and Propagation (APCAP), pp. 281-282 (2018).
(11) G.L. Dai, W. In, X C. Wei, E.P. Li, A novel FSS based on hybrid boundary condition cavity”, 2012 Asia-Pacific Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, pp. 473-476 (2012).