CIRCULAR POLARIZED TWO-ELEMENT COMPACT DUAL-BAND MIMO ANTENNA FOR 5G AND WEARABLE APPLICATIONS
Keywords:Multiple input multiple output antenna, Circular polarization, 5G, Specific absorption rate, Wearable and cancer detection applications
In this paper, a compact dual-band circular polarization (CP) multiple input multiple output (MIMO) antenna is proposed that can be used for 5G and wearable applications. The proposed antenna comprises two rectangular radiators used to obtain the dual-band response. The defected ground approach is used to mitigate the effect of surface current between the ports. Two open-ended stubs with T-shaped decoupling are used to improve the isolation between the ports without affecting the antenna parameters and the radiation pattern. The distance between two radiators is 0.31 λ0 which causes the high mutual coupling between the antennas. The two symmetric open-ended stubs are introduced to improve the isolation up to 17 dB at higher operating frequencies and are responsible for circular behavior. A T-shaped stub is inserted in the ground that improves the isolation up to 10 dB at a lower frequency. The dual-band response of the proposed antenna is observed from 3.0 GHz to 3.6 GHz covers 5G (n78) and 5.7 GHz to 9.7 GHz, which covers direct sequence (DS) ultra-wideband (UWB), smartphone, wearable, and biomedical applications. The proposed antenna shows circular behavior in the ISM band therefore, the proposed SAR is simulated and analyzed for wearable and cancer detection applications.
(1) B. Bag, P.P. Sarkar, Dual-band monopole antenna for WLAN/WIMAX applications, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn. – Électrotechn. Et Énerg., 63, 3, pp. 283–288 (2018).
(2) N.K. Kiem, D.N. Chien, A transmission line decoupling technique for enhancement of port isolation of dual-band MIMO antennas, J. of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, 32, 10, pp. 1195–1211 (2018).
(3) Q. Li, M. Abdullah, X. Chen, Defected ground structure loaded with meandered lines for decoupling of dual-band antenna, Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, 33, 13, pp. 1764–1775 (2019).
(4) J.Y. Deng, Z.J. Wang, J.Y. Li, L.X. Guo, A dual‐band MIMO antenna decoupled by a meandering line resonator for WLAN applications, Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, 60, 3, pp. 759–765 (2018).
(5) D. Sipal, M. P. Abegaonkar, S.K. Koul, Highly isolated compact planar dual-band antenna with polarization/pattern diversity characteristics for MIMO terminals, IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, 18, 4, pp. 762–766 (2019).
(6) A.K. Panda, S. Sahu, R. K. Mishra, A compact dual‐band 2×1 metamaterial inspired MIMO antenna system with high port isolation for LTE and WiMax applications, International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer‐Aided Engineering, 27, 8, pp. e21122 (2017).
(7) P.C. Nirmal, A. Nandgaonkar, S.L. Nalbalwar, R.K. Gupta, A compact dual band MIMO antenna with improved isolation for Wi-Max and WLAN applications, Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, 68, pp. 69–77 (2018).
(8) A. Kumar, A.Q. Ansari, B.K. Kanaujia, J. Kishor, A novel ITI-shaped isolation structure placed between two-port CPW-fed dual-band MIMO antenna for high isolation, AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, 104, pp. 35–43 (2019).
(9) C. Guo, H. Zhai, S. Liu, A new dual band microstrip antenna array with high isolation by waveguided metamaterial structure, Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, 61, 5, pp. 1365–1370 (2019).
(10) S. Chouhan, D.K. Panda, V.S. Kushwah, S. Singhal, Spider-shaped fractal MIMO antenna for WLAN/WiMAX/Wi-Fi/Bluetooth/C-band applications, AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, 110, pp. 152871 (2019).
(11) J. Deng, J.Li, L. Zhao, L. Guo, A dual-band inverted-F MIMO antenna with enhanced isolation for WLAN applications, IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, 16, pp. 2270–2273 (2017).
(12) J. Sui, K.L. Wu, A general T-stub circuit for decoupling of two dual-band antennas, IEEE transactions on microwave theory and techniques, 65, 6, pp. 2111–2121 (2017).
(13) F.A. Dicandia, S. Genovesi, A. Monorchio, Analysis of the performance enhancement of MIMO systems employing circular polarization, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 65, 9, pp. 4824–4835 (2017).
(14) I.C. Stanica, F. Moldoveanu, M.I. Dascalu, I.V. Nemoianu, G.P. Portelli, Advantages of telemedicine in neurorehabilitation and quality of life improvement, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn. – Électrotechn. Et Énerg., 66, 3, pp. 195–199 (2021).
(15) H. Gupta, P. Kumar, S. Saurabh, S. K.Mishra, B. Appasani, A. Pati, A. Srinivasulu, Category boosting machine learning algorithm for breast cancer prediction, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn. – Électrotechn. Et Énerg., 66, 3, pp. 201–206 (2021).
(16) S.P. Biswal, S. Das, Eight‐element‐based MIMO antenna with CP behaviour for modern wireless communication, IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, 14, 1, pp. 45–52 (2020).
(17) A. Kumar, A. De, R.K. Jain, Circularly polarized CPW fed MIMO/Diversity antenna for Wi-Fi and WLAN applications, Frequenz, 76, 1-2, pp. 37–44 (2022).
(18) R. Chandel, A.K. Gautam, K. Rambabu, Tapered fed compact UWB MIMO-diversity antenna with dual band-notched characteristics, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 66, 4, pp. 1677–1684, (2018).
(19) S. Subramanian, B. Sundarambal, D. Nirmal, Investigation on simulation-based specific absorption rate in ultra-wideband antenna for breast cancer detection, IEEE sensors journal, 18, 24, pp. 10002–10009 (2018).
(20) ***http://niremf.ifac.cnr.it/tissprop/htmlclie/htmlclie. php
(21) A. Kumar, Compact 4x4 CPW-Fed MIMO antenna with Wi-Fi and WLAN notch for UWB applications, Radioelectronics and Communications Systems, 64, 2, pp. 92–98 (2021).
(22) A. Kumar, A. De, R.K. Jain, CSRR and open-stub based circular polarized and double band eight-ports MIMO antenna for 5G and ISM band applications, Microsystem Technologies, 28, pp. 1727–1738 (2022).