NOVEL ROTOR POSITION EXTRACTION BASED ON ROTATING HIGH-FREQUENCY VOLTAGE INJECTION FOR PERMANENT MAGNET SYNCHRONOUS MACHINE DRIVES AT LOW OR ZERO SPEEDS
Keywords:Sensorless control, High frequency (HF) rotating carrier-signal injection, Surface-mounted permanent-magnet synchronous machines (SPMSM), Demodulation
A new procedure for rotor position extraction of salient-pole permanent magnet synchronous motors (PMSM) is presented in this paper. A carrier rotating signal is injected into the machine to measure its displacement using a high-frequency current. This method reduces computation time, simplifies the extraction model, and improves the displacement assessment error. This method is effective for surface mounted-permanent magnet synchronous motors (SPMSM) exhibiting small magnetic saliencies with sinusoidally distributed stator winding supplied by a space vector pulse wide modulation (SVPWM) voltage source inverter. The experimental results proved that the online phase shift compensation method could assess the rotor displacement, the speed, and the sensorless PMSM vector control operation with high accuracy. This method has shown its effectiveness for static and dynamic performance under various operating load conditions.
(1) P.L. Xu, Z.Q. Zhu, Novel square-wave signal injection method using zero sequence voltage for sensorless control of PMSM drives, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 63, 12, pp. 7444–7454 (2016).
(2) J. Liu, H. Li, Y. Deng, Torque ripple minimization of PMSM based on robust ILC via adaptative sliding mode control, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 33, 4, pp. 3655–3671 (2018).
(3) M.I. Abdelwanis, R. El-Sehiemy, M.A. Hamida, Parameter estimation of permanent magnet synchronous machines using particle swarm optimization algorithm, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn. – Électrotechn. Et Énerg., 67, 4, pp. 377–382 (2022).
(4) A. Sarikhani, O.A. Mohammed, Sensorless control of PM synchronous machines by physics-based EMF observer, IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, 27, 4, pp. 1009–1017 (2012).
(5) I. Boldea, M.C. Paicu, G.D. Andreescu, F. Blaabjerg, Active flux DTFC-SVM sensorless control of IPMSM, IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, 24, 2, pp. 314–322 (2009).
(6) J.H. Jang, S. K, J. I. Ha, M. Sawamura, Sensorless drive of surface-mounted permanent-magnet motor by high-frequency signal injection based on magnet saliency, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 39, 4, pp. 1031–557 (2003).
(7) M. Mamo, K. Ide, M. Sawamura, J.O. Oyama, Encoderless position estimation for symmetric cage induction machines under loaded Conditions, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 37, 6, pp. 1793–1800 (2001).
(8) G.D. Andreescu, C.I. Pitic, F. Blaabjerg, I. Boldea, Combined flux observer with signal injection enhancement for wide speed range sensorless direct torque control of IPMSM drives, IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, 23, 2, pp. 393–402 (2008).
(9) D. Saltiveri, A. Arias, G.Asher, M. Sumner, Sensorless control of surface-mounted permanent magnet synchronous motors using matrix converters, Electrical power quality and utilization journal, 12, 1, pp. 59–67 (2006).
(10) R. Ni, D. Xu, F. Blaabjerg, K. Lu, G. Wang, G.Zhang, Square-wave voltage injection algorithm for PMSM position sensorless control with high robustness to voltage errors, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 32, 7, pp. 5425–5437 (2016).
(11) J. Li, B. Zhou, B. Liu, L. Wang, T. Ni, A novel strategy of initial position detection for surface mounted permanent magnet synchronous machines, 17th International Conference on Electrical Machines and Systems (ICEMS), Hangzhou, China, 2014.
(12) A. Jebai, F. Malrait, P. Martin, P. Rouchon, Sensorless position estimation and control of permanent-magnet synchronous motors saturation model, International Journal of Control, 89, 3, pp. 535–549 (2016).
(13) X. Luo, Q. Tang, A. Shen, Q. Zhang, PMSM sensorless control by injecting HF pulsating carrier signal into estimated fixed-frequency rotating reference frame, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 63, 4, pp. 2294–2303 (2016).
(14) Y.D. Yoon, S.K. Sul, Sensorless control of induction machines based on square-wave voltage injection, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 29, 7, pp. 3637–3645 (2014).
(15) X. Wu, Y. Feng, X. Liu, S. Huang, X. Yuan, J. Gao, J. Zheng, Initial rotor position detection for sensorless interior PMSM with square-wave voltage injection, IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, 53, 11, pp. 1–4 (2017).
(16) Y.S. Jeong, R.D. Lorenz, T.M. Jahns, S.K. Sul, Initial rotor position estimation of an interior permanent-magnet synchronous machine using carrier-frequency injection methods, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 41, 1, pp. 38–45 (2005).
(17) X. Zhang, H. Li, S. Yang, M. Ma, Improved initial rotor position estimation for PMSM drives based on HF pulsating voltage signal injection, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 65, 6, pp. 4702–4713 (2018).
(18) S. Bolognani, S. Calligaro, R. Petrella, M. Tursini, Sensorless control of IPM motors in the low-speed range and at a standstill by HF injection and DFT processing, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 47, 1, pp. 96–104 (2011).
(19) L. Baghli, I. Al-Rouh, A. Rezzoug, Signal analysis and identification for induction motor sensorless control, Control Engineering Practice, 14, 11, pp. 1313–1324 (2006).
(20) H. Kim, M.C. Harke, R.D. Lorenz, Sensorless control of interior-permanent magnet machine drives with zero-phase lag position estimation, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 39, 6, pp. 1726–1733 (2003).
(21) S. Medjmadj, D. Diallo, A. Arias, Mechanical sensor fault-tolerant controller in PMSM drive: experimental evaluation of observers and signal injection for position estimation, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn. – Électrotechn. Et Énerg., 66, 2, pp. 77–83 (2021).
(2) J. Karki, Active low-pass filter design, Texas Instruments, Application report, SLOA049B (2002).
(23) F. Auger, O. Mansouri-Toudert, A. Chibah, Design of advanced resolver-to-digital converters, 10th Electrimacs conference, Cergy-Pontoise, France, 2011.
(24) A.M. Sani, S. Filizadeh, Digital implementation and transient simulation of space-vector modulated converters, Power Engineering Society General Meeting, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, 2006.
(25) L. Loron, Tuning of PID controllers by non-symmetrical optimum method, Automatica, 33, 1, pp. 103-107 (1997)